Removing Wanadoo’s software

I eventually got round to removing Wanadoo’s software. Not used it for ages so as part of a tidy up I uninstalled it. As a last act of defiance the un-installation took over my home page (normally a blank page) and re-directed it to www.wanadoo.fr). Says it all (to me) about Wanadoo’s software.

Ian

[quote user="Logan"]Is it possible to remove wanadoo espace and still connect to the internet using wanadoo's ADSL?[/quote]

I have Wanadoo ADSL and have never used their software.  I just configured my wifi connection with the various numbers that came on the installation disk and that was that.  I use the homepage of my choice and really wouldn't know I used Wanadoo at all most of the time.

PG

With Windoze, if you use dial-up you just create a standard Windoze dial-up connection. With ADSL, either the same or use it as a router (e.g. Ethernet ADSL modem). Its all standard Windows stuff – not too technical but obviously different people feel comfortable with different things.

If using a Wanadoo supplied USB modem, you may need to find drivers from somewhere, but windows is pretty good these days so you probably wont need the Wanadoo supplied CD for that either.

With MACs, I just use an Ethernet ADSL modem as a router so it standard networking stuff.

Whilst I have only just removed the Wanadoo software I have disabled it and not used it several years ago. Basically it is rubbish software. Given how little it does it seems to have a pretty detrimental effect on many computers.

Ian

Thanks for your reply but I am unsure how to remove wanadoo espace and then configure the modem which came with it to connect to the internet. I am happy with wanadoo ADSL and the modem but hate the espace software. It has a mind of it's own and  continually gives me irritating tasks I can do without. 

So if I remove the software how then to a create a connection in Windows XP?

If you go to add/remove programs and simply remove the Wanadoo software, this won't remove the driver for the modem or Livebox. You should then be able to reconfigure your Windows internet connection settings without too much problem.

If you are starting from scratch with Wanadoo,  still go through the initial  stage of the set-up proceedure on the cd supplied. There is a fairly obvious point about half way through the process where you will see that the driver is installed and the modem or livebox is successfully conigured. This is the point where you can abort the set-up program before it goes on to install "espace wanadoo". You can then configure your internet connection settings to automatically connect to the internet when Windows starts and remain connected all the time. All you then need to do is start your web browser and e-mail client each time.