no asdl - Satellite internet connection?

Help, Help!!!  Just found out that we do not have adsl in our area (we were told we would!). Our only option looks like satellite internet connection. Can anyone tell me is this a different satellite dish to our tv satellite dish? Also can you tell me whether you can upload as well via satellite or do you have to use a modem as well? Many thanks.

Vicky

Hi Vicky

I moved to France last June and was devastated when I found that adsl wasn't available in my area (although like you I was led to believe it was) as I depend on it for work.

You may want to double check www.ariase.com/fr to make sure that you definitely cant even get readsl or that its not planned.

At the time I looked into my other options. I found that AVC broadband do satellite services through a sky dish so if you have sky you dont need to get a second dish www.avcbroadband.com. You will need a double (or quad) lnb so that you can run a second cable from your dish.

You can get either one way or two way satellite but be warned - two way is very expensive. As a result I decided on one way (which gives download only) and I chose the 256 offer. I gave a UK address because it seemed simpler (the address is of course totally irrelevant as far as the actual technology is concerned). I also bought myself a usb satellite tv decoder which was about £65 as I recall and also doubles up as a gismo which lets me watch the free sky channels on my PC or laptop.

Now the downside ! You do still need a dialup ISP as well to send the the signals out (I went for a Tiscali package costing 10 euros per month).

So was it worth it ? Depends what you want to achieve. If you download from the internet regularly then definitely. Otherwise, probably not. Some days there was an improvement in surfing speed but other days it was still frustratingly slow.

Happily in the last few weeks they have activated Readsl in my area and my life has been transformed.

I hope this help you !

Clare.

Hi Claire,

Thanks so much for your help.  I have just checked with France telecom and they have said beginning of April (but that might change!).  Also checked on your website and it says Readsl is going to be available.  What is this?

Thanks,

Vicky

[quote user="victoria"]

snip.. Also checked on your website and it says Readsl is going to be available.  What is this?

[/quote]

READSL improves the range of ADSL over very long twisted pairs by selecting the combination of downstream and upstream power-spectral density (PSD) masks best suited for a DSLAM’s loop and noise characteristics. In a long-loop system, higher frequencies deteriorate gradually as they travel across the telephone lines, resulting in drastically reduced downstream data rates. To solve this issue, READSL focuses a higher power density within a constricted downstream and upstream bandwidth (narrowed frequency usage, same total power). The higher power density in the downstream band directly increases the downstream data rate, while the reduced upstream band provides a narrower echo, freeing up more bandwidth for downstream transmission to the modem.  [8-|]

Basically, 'full' ADSL speeds are only available within 1.8KM of the DSLAM (local exchange) but this is improving every day.  READSL allows 'always on' service at a much greater distance.  At 512KB/S, still a lot better than PSTN dial-up.   

Brian 11500

[quote user="Btuckey"][quote user="victoria"]

snip.. Also checked on your website and it says Readsl is going to be available.  What is this?

[/quote]

READSL improves the range of ADSL over very long twisted pairs by selecting the combination of downstream and upstream power-spectral density (PSD) masks best suited for a DSLAM’s loop and noise characteristics. In a long-loop system, higher frequencies deteriorate gradually as they travel across the telephone lines, resulting in drastically reduced downstream data rates. To solve this issue, READSL focuses a higher power density within a constricted downstream and upstream bandwidth (narrowed frequency usage, same total power). The higher power density in the downstream band directly increases the downstream data rate, while the reduced upstream band provides a narrower echo, freeing up more bandwidth for downstream transmission to the modem.  [8-|]

Basically, 'full' ADSL speeds are only available within 1.8KM of the DSLAM (local exchange) but this is improving every day.  READSL allows 'always on' service at a much greater distance.  At 512KB/S, still a lot better than PSTN dial-up.   

Brian 11500

[/quote]

Brian

That was really helpfull. I'll bet you can remember the explanation of the PEARSON function in EXCEL off the top of your head as well.