Is it true that for Sky plus to work you need to be a Sky subscriber and/or have the digibox plugged into a phone line?

Seems a bit daft to me if it is because after all you are just recording one channel whilst watching another. I was told that Sky would turn off the 'record function'... what's all that about?

My mate in Spain has just bought a Panasonic DMR-EH50 with an 80Gb hard drive and he says it's the bees' knees. Apparently you just connect vai a scart lead and set what you want to record on the Sky screen. The only drawback is it costs about € 360. What's yours called?

Benjamin

I call it Betty.

But really it's a Sony, 80GbHD, and it really is the cat's nightwear. Cost me about £300, but well worth it as I use the DVDs at work. I'm having trouble transferring VHS to DVD, but I have a friend who knows how, so that should be sorted before long.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

For the recording function to work on a SKY+ box you need to have a SKY contract.  At the lower tariffs the recording function costs £10pm extra.  This charge is waived if you subscribe to two or more premium channels.  If you bought the box at a ‘subsidised’ price from SKY you also need to have it connected to a phone line.  (And yes, they do check!)   If you bought the box at the full price you don’t however.  SKY will turn off the record function if you cancel the contract or don’t have one in the first place.  

I have had a SKY+ box since they came out but intend to cancel the contract next month.  The box will revert to ‘terrestrial’ channels only but then I hardly ever watch a subscription channel so get little benefit from the monthly SKY charge.  I am thinking of buying a Topfield TF5010 as my main/PVR unit.

Brian 11500  

For SKY+ you need the subscription so that you can receive the electronic programme details, the programme schedules, I believe. Why this is any different from the normal listings you see on a free SKY box beats me.

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

For SKY+ you need the subscription so that you can receive the electronic programme details, the programme schedules, I believe. Why this is any different from the normal listings you see on a free SKY box beats me.

Sid

[/quote]

Sorry Sid, not true.  Any SKY box and card combo will receive the Electronic Programme Guide.  This includes the one off payment card which receives all of the terrestrial channels (including CH4 & 5) as favoured by many ex-pats.  However, only a SKY box will take this card and display the EPG due to the proprietary encryption system.  Having said that, most ‘Free to Air’ receivers have perfectly usable EPGs.  The satellite receiver cards that fit into PCs have even better ones which update over the Internet.  This is usually bundled into the recording software. 

SKY+’s only differentiator is the recording function.  If you give up the subscription you revert to EPG & terrestrial only.  The only practical difference in the SKY+ EPG is the record icon and the planner screen which shows (lists) your recorded programmes.

Brian 11500