I have a pre-paid Orange mobile phone and want to take it to the UK with me. Does anyone know if these work over there? If so if someone from the UK wanted to phone me while I'm there, what number do they dial? Just my standard mobile number or do they have to put the country code in as well and be redirected to wherever my phone is.

Ours work in both countries. I presume you are talking about French Orange rather than British? To reach you, people should dial the country code for France in front of your number, dropping off the first zero (before the 6), so from UK this would be 0033 6 xx xx xx.

I have a prepaid Orange phone and sometimes it doesn't let me make calls abroad.  This seems to be because of the roaming partner it picks up.  If you find you can't make calls, change the network settings to another provider.  Also, be warned that using a prepaid mobile abroad is very, very expensive  as you are paying for not only the calls you make, but the calls you receive.  Your credit gets eaten in seconds!

Beware of costs!!!!

We recently had two weeks in France house searching and took an Orange Pay as You Go phone from the UK.

With making and receiving calls to and from agents it literally cost £100.

The reason is that when they call you they dial the country code of where the phone is registered AND you pay the cost of the calls from the country where it is registered to the country you are in. Likewise, you make a foreign call to speak to the person in the country you are visiting (in our case, to phone France from France requires the 0033 before the number).

Next time we will buy a French SIM card from somewhere like www.0044.co.uk so that when in France, calls to Frnch numbers are 'local' - you get a French number to go with the SIM - and when people want to call us from the UK they will have to use the 0033 number and pay all the charges. I presume you can also get a UK SIM for use in the UK, probably from the above website or other similar ones.

On the other hand, if it is just fo one or two calls the new SIM card will not be worth the expense.

Paul