Wireless Router

I have bought an 802.11g ADSL modem with wireless router and I am having problems setting it up…. Am I missing something obvious? Everything plugged in but nothing. I have Wanadoo account would this make any difference….I am trying to avoid having a Live box..........

[quote user="Harvey"]I have bought an 802.11g ADSL modem with wireless router and I am having problems setting it up…. Am I missing something obvious? Everything plugged in but nothing. I have Wanadoo account would this make any difference….I am trying to avoid having a Live box..........[/quote]

Wanadoo is quite tolerant of different kit instead of the Livebox. Maybe if you find a forum for your modem you may get some answers as to what might be wrong. It's probably something minor. I can't help you much as although I'm on Wanadoo ADSL, I use ethernet.

Hi Harvey,

You say “Everything plugged in but nothing”.

What equipment do you have (as well as the wireless router)?  How were you connecting to the internet before?  If you have upgraded from dial-up to ADSL are you sure that your line is now set up for ADSL?  If you’ve got 2 PCs / laptops with wireless network cards can the PCs “see” each other on the network?  Have you followed the installation instructions 100% to the letter?  Have you entered all the correct user / password / ISP configuration information (supplied by your ISP)?

Although setting up wi-fi equipment is portrayed as being easy by manufacturers, I found it the most frustrating PC experience in my 15 years of using computers!

I suggest you have a look on the equipment manufacturer’s website – they are bound to have a “Support” section with FAQs advising what to do when it doesn’t work as it should.

It’s good when it works (mine isn’t either at the moment!)

Thanks for both replies....the story is, a friend in fact bought me the wireless router as a surprise gift.....I was happy with my existing system - ADSL working on the principal, 'if it isnt broken, dont fix it ' plus having read all the postings about Live Boxes and hearing about friends expereinces of setting it up I had decided to stick with old system....until today.....my friend went back to the shop this morning to ask for help and returned with......... a Live box....my heart dropped.....but I smiled, saying....Oh.....thank you so much.....They have now left....leaving me surounded by boxes, instructions, leads, plugs when all I wanted to do this afternoon was to spend an hour relaxing in the garden....

Harvey,

If you need help in English, you may find this article from Orange UK useful, assuming a French Livebox works the same way as a UK one:  http://help.orange.co.uk/documentDisplay.do?clusterName=DefaultCluster&preview=1&groupId=1&page=http://ESERVER_eb0321ee-adee-4fbc-9582-d7f4c194eadd.xhtml&docType=1006&resultType=5002&docProp=$solution_id&docPropValue=kb7904

Alternatively type “Livebox” into the search box here:  http://help.orange.co.uk/results.do

Ecossais, you are a mind reader! I have been searching (unsucessfully) on the Orange site but couldn't find anything, then I allowed myself to become distracted, as you do, when searching..... Many thanks for you help.