People with An Orange Livebox

For those (masochistic) people out there who use a Wanadoo/Orange Livebox and are paying the 3€ per month - you might save a few €s (literally) if you buy your own Livebox, They are currently on general sale for under 50€. If you are on a 3€ per month Wanadoo deal that means the purchase will "pay for itself" in under 17 months and you will own the device.

Ian

I don't know the Netgear box but if its acting as a router on a network connection then check that the computer IP stack has the correct router address configured (which is probably different from the Livebox IP address. Also check that the router has the connection username and password configured correctly.

I assume the Netgear box was purchased in France (i.e. from a French supplier - as there are differences in protocols between UK and French ADSL which might auto detect and might need configuring. A French purchased device will be OK "out-of-the-box").

If using a Netgear device they will certainly not need the Wanadoo/Orange software (which might be another possible problem).

Most routers will have some sort of log (easiest way to view is normally with a web browser). The log may give some clues as to why the connection is failing.

Ian

There is a very good reason for not buying a livebox!

The Livebox is a notoriously unreliable bit of kit and if you buy it, you get a normal guarantee, howver if you rent it, then it is guaranteed for the life of the rental period and there is little problem getting it exchanged at your local FT shop. If you buy it and it goes wrong, you have to jump through hoops to get an RMA from Orange!

In my experience, Netgear are by far the best modem/routers you can get and out the 250 I have sold over the last 4 years, only one has developed a fault. Netgera are dead easy to setup and configure and one bought in the UK will definitely work in France, if you need to know how to set one up, pm me with the model number and I'll tell you how to do it.

Tim