two people using Livebox

I'm really useless when it comes to techie stuff, so please bare with me.  We have been running a laptop off a livebox system with no problems. We are now renting the house out and leaving the Live box (not laptop)  for the tennants as we do not require it. Our contract with wanadoo/orange runs out in Jan 2007.  If they want to use the Livebox do they need to create their own contract??

Either you cancel the contract and pay up your account til January 2007, or you let them use your account and email addresses. I suppose you could create a subsidiary email address for them, but the simplest would be to pay the cancelation charge and let them start afresh with whoever they want to use as internet supplier.

I’ve never used a Livebox but I guess it must work in the same way as a normal wireless ADSL router?

Your ISP log-in details should be stored in the Livebox’s memory.

If your tenants have their own laptop and wi-fi card they should be able to connect to your network / Livebox.  When they turn on their laptop, it should find your network and prompt to connect to the network, in the same way as if you used your laptop at a wi-fi hotspot or in a friend’s house who had a wi-fi network.  If you have secured your network, it will ask for a password (not your ISP password) – they will need that to connect to your network / Livebox.

Once connected, they should be able to connect to the internet and use their OWN Microsoft Outlook / Express email address (they may have to change the incoming / outgoing mail server details to wanadoo.fr or orange.fr).