UPS Anti surge system and ADSL

I thought I would share this with everyone, as it may be useful.....

In the last 18 months, we've lost two telephones, a printer and just last week our TFT computer screen.  All were within 2 years old.  We concluded that it was down to our very dodgy and somewhat fluctuating mains power, as we have small power blips all the time.  We were always losing connection to Wanadoo as well.

After our screen broke (which had been flickering for some time), we spoke to a few 'techy' people and they advised that we really should buy a UPS anti surge protector for all our computer equipment.  So we did, and it's marvellous.  The new screen no longer flickers, the computer is more stable (hasn't crashed since) and we have been connected to Wanadoo, without interruption, since we installed the new UPS box, which was two weeks ago ! Magic !  I have no idea how it's solved all our problems, but so far it has.

For info, we purchased a UPS Management system at 129 Euros from Carrefour.  But there are cheaper ones, they just have less battery back up time.

Hi Micky jim, we too have had problems with surges, in fact we had a lightening strike and blew the hard drive in our laptop. We just bought a PC from Dell to take with us when we go next week to replace it.

I am not familiar with the UPS Management system you mention but did buy a surge protector from Dell to use with the new computer. I was told that this will protect us from surges, however, it is simply something that plugs into the outlet like an extension and has no battery. I assume that the system you mention is different to an ordinary surge protector and if so would I need both?

[quote user="mickey jim"]

I thought I would share this with everyone, as it may be useful.....

In the last 18 months, we've lost two telephones, a printer and just last week our TFT computer screen.  All were within 2 years old.  We concluded that it was down to our very dodgy and somewhat fluctuating mains power, as we have small power blips all the time.  We were always losing connection to Wanadoo as well.

After our screen broke (which had been flickering for some time), we spoke to a few 'techy' people and they advised that we really should buy a UPS anti surge protector for all our computer equipment.  So we did, and it's marvellous.  The new screen no longer flickers, the computer is more stable (hasn't crashed since) and we have been connected to Wanadoo, without interruption, since we installed the new UPS box, which was two weeks ago ! Magic !  I have no idea how it's solved all our problems, but so far it has.

For info, we purchased a UPS Management system at 129 Euros from Carrefour.  But there are cheaper ones, they just have less battery back up time.

[/quote]

Is your Livebox (or other ADSL router) power supplied from the UPS ?  Although I've got a UPS (cost about 60euros from Penny Market) on each computer, the Livebox supply does not come through it, and I'm wondering if that's why I lose the connection from time to time.

Patrick

Patmobile - Yes, the ADSL line and power go through the 'box'.  We should be able to put our telephone through it as well, but haven't worked that one out yet without interrupting the ADSL line!  

WJT - the UPS we have has a 70 minute power back up supply, so if our electricity supply fails, the computer system and internet keep running.  The idea is it gives you enough time to save everything and see you through any blips, without interruption.  This does work, as we've had a number of very short power cuts over the last couple of days, without even a flicker on the screen - just the UPS beep to say that the battery has kicked in.  I am in NO WAY an expert on this equipment, but it is what was recommended to me by 'so called experts'. I think we could have gone for a cheaper option (69 Euros), but it had less battery back up time, but I'm not sure whether you could run the ADSL line through it though - can't remember.  I do feel that running the ADSL line and power through it has been a real bonus.  It is really up to you if you feel you need something more than 'protecting' your computer against surges...

Hope this helps.

[quote user="mickey jim"]

Patmobile - Yes, the ADSL line and power go through the 'box'.  We should be able to put our telephone through it as well, but haven't worked that one out yet without interrupting the ADSL line!  

[/quote]

I don't quite understand why you want to put both the ADSL and 'telephone' through the box.  The telephone wall socket is connected to the UPS Line In socket and your ADSL filter is connected to the UPS' Line Out socket.  The filter then connects to the PC and phone as usual.

Brian