Any Powerpoints buffs out there?

I'm assuming this is Windows, because I don't think Powerpoint is avaiable for Macs.

There's a simple method that works for any picture (or anything visible on your screen).

When you have the picture on the screen press the print screen key (Prnt Scrn or whatever). Then open MS Paint and press ctrl-V. This will paste a copy of your screen into Paint. Then you can crop or adjust the picture before saving it.

Once you have a saved picture just use the screen settings tools to select it as your wallpaper or for your screensaver.

Of course, if you can get at the source piccie in the Powerpoint file you could presumably use it directly, but I ain't a Powerpoint afficionado.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]I'm assuming this is Windows, because I don't think Powerpoint is avaiable for Macs.[/quote]

Powerpoint is available for Macs - I have it in Office X and I am sure it is included in Office 2004 for Macs.

From the help file....

Save a slide as a picture to use in another program, a film recorder, or on the Web

You can save a slide in one of several graphic file formats and then insert it as a picture in another program or on a Web page.

1. Display the slide you want to save as a picture.

2. On the File menu, click Save As.

3. In the Save As box, type a name for the slide or slides.

4. On the Format pop-up menu, click the graphics file format you want.

5. Click Options.

6. In the Preferences dialog box, select the resolutions, image size, and compression options you want.

7. Click Save current slide only to save a single slide, or Save every slide to save each slide in your presentation as a separate graphic file, and then click OK.

8. Click Save.

Note   After your slides have been saved as graphic files, you can print them to a film recorder to create 35-mm slides, color overheads, and so on. If you don't have a film recorder, you can send your saved pictures to a service bureau for printing. For instructions about sending files to a service bureau and recommendations about file formats, contact the service bureau directly.

A bit long winded but basically go to the Save as menu and then it can be saved as a jpg, tiff, etc.  I would think it is the same for Windows but you never know!

Not only is PowerPoint available for Macs, the 2004 version is way better, with a whole new screen - 'Presenter Tools' which allows the presenter to see the last and next slides, a timer and free navigation of all slides whilst all the audience see is the current slide. I use it every day (sometimes 4 or 5 times) and it is very good. It galls me to say it, but the Office 2004 version is better than Apple's Keynote. The only annoyance is that sometimes I want a slide to stay on screen for say 20 minutes, while the class follow instructions. I often put music in at that point, but for some reason I can't insert a whole playlist from iTunes, although I can put in individual tracks.

Which led to this conversation last week:

"Why are you playing Mozart, sir?"

"It's supposed to make you more intelligent."

"Huh. So is fish oil. I've been taking it since I was 3 and look at me!"

Thanks, Dick.

I must admit that I don't own office for Mac. For the small amount of real work I do on mine (invoices & VAT calculations) AppleWorks is fine. My actual production work is always Windows based and although I have the last 3 versions of Powerpoint I've never done anything with it.

Loosely back on topic, is there a way to resize a picture using the tools that come with OS-X (or AppleWorks)? I finally got round to buying an 'OS-X for Windows Users' guide recently, so now I can actually find my way around it a bit more effectively, but I haven't tracked that down yet.

If you can click on it and get the corners of the frame, hold down shift and click-drag on the frame corner and drag out to the size you want. I don't know about AppleWorks, it's along time since I used it. Or you could open in Preview and resize. Open the picture and then click on the bottom right corner and drag to the size you want - the frame changes size but the picture doesn't. Then go to View and click on Automatically Resize, and Bob's your Uncle. Only problem is you can't save it...

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Loosely back on topic, is there a way to resize a picture using the tools that come with OS-X (or AppleWorks)?

[/quote]

The simplest way is to use the bundled iPhoto.  Import your picture into iPhoto, where, as you probably know, you can do some limited enhancements such as reducing red-eye; then export it (File - Export...).  You can scale the image in the export dialogue box by changing the number of pixels and export it in the same format as the original or as a jpg, tiff or png file. Robert's your aunty's life partner!

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Why didn't I think of that...

[/quote]

You probably fell asleep waiting for iPhoto to open!  Excellent programme but takes an annoyingly long time to start - particularly as when once opened clicking on the red 'close' button doesn't just close the window but also shuts down the application.  Grrr.