French SIM cards

Has anyone got any experience of using the various SIM cards (such as

the 0044 ones) which are available in the UK for use abroad?

If so, any recommendations as to the best ones.

Some seem to be for individual countries and some for global use.

We have just got a place in the Pyrenees and plan to visit three or four times a year.

Any advice much appreciated

Brian

It all depends on which networks are available in your corner of France and the usage you intend, volume of calls both incoming and outgoing. If you only want it for emergencies and the SFR network works in your area the NRJ cards are hard to beat in an unblocked UK phone. 

I haven't used it myself, but have heard good reports of www.sim4travel.com. It seems to work by giving you a SIM card on an obscure network (based in Liechtenstein I believe?) that has no or very low roaming charges, so you get cheap calls and don't have to pay to receive calls outside your home country. You can also top it up easily, from anywhere.

If you just want French cards and live in UK then the www.0044.com cards are very good. Also consider mobile world from Carphone Warehouse if you call landlines in France a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to use an SFR SIM card in an old British Nokia handset (the French handset that I bought some years ago has packed up)

I have succesfully "unlocked" the Nokia via the "Trycktil" (may have spelt that wrong) site - but when I inser the SIM it's coming up with "SIM card not accepted"

Any ideas please?

Cheers

I would firstly try another SIM card in the phone that you know is working, if necessary use one from somebody else's phone. If the same message Sim card not accepted appears, then it could well be that your phone has not been unlocked properly or  maybe your provider settings in your phone need altering. One last point check whether your old phone is a dual band  receiver if not it may not work in France. (Manual should give this specification)

Baz