Moving to France from the USA for 6 months

Hi, my wife and I and our 7 month old baby are thinking of moving to France. My wife who is Canadian speaks french I don't. We both have spent alot of time in Europe and have always dreamed of living there for a little while. We are looking at it as a long vacation, but I maybe able to work as I am a chef and have some contacts in France who, but only if they will sponsor me.Otherwise I will cook for free and the experience which is priceless!! We would appreciate any help concerning everything from paying bills back home to medical insurance. We have thought about this for years and we realize we are scared to do it but if not now when! Thanks for your help

Hi, There isn't a lot to say really. If you intend to come for 6 months then that is like a long holiday. I mean are you intending to travel visit relations and friends. As for paying bills in the USA I guess you will have to do it through a bank draft or some other form of paying. Are you going to drive over here or use public transport. Where are you going to first and which airport will you fly into? Having a partner that speaks French is a good bonus, though.

Get the relevant visas  for coming here and then go to CPAM, with your French speaking wife, and sign up for medical insurance. You do not need expensive US medical insurance if you do that.  Also, visit www.americansinfrance.net for any other info you may need. It is a website especially for Americans wanting to come here.

Good luck![:)]