Moving to Paris from Asia

Hi all,

Am seeking some advice about moving to Paris...I do not plan to do so for about a year or so, but am doing some forward planning.

I'm an expat currently living in a lively city in Asia......have been here nearly 2 years, so I think the 3 year mark will be time to move on.

Have my heart set on moving to Paris...learnt French at university etc, and wont feel I've done everything I want in life until I spend some real time in Paris..not just a holiday for a week as have done in the past....

I really want to know about the different areas of Paris, where are nice places to hang out with friends, what there is to do in leisure time in Paris, and especially about apartments and renting apartments. I will be wanting to rent an apartment, but  have no idea of average prices or sizes of places etc.

Also...what about general costs in Paris...I have heard that it is an exceptionally expensive city...how much would you recommend to be saved up (talking in Euro here) before moving???

I absolutely can't wait to get some replies and meet some others online before I get there

Thanks.

Hi dreamer,

I don't want to spoil your dreams, but be prepared that finding an apartment in Paris is an incredibly difficult process.

Most agencies will ask that you earn at least 3 times of the rent and that you find a guarantor (french based) who is prepared to pay in the case that you don't. In addition you will have the deposit (which may be up to 6 months rent, but is usually 3). You will also need a French back account (which may take time to set-up). You also pay an agency fee of 1 months rent.

The rents for a studio will be around the 400-700 euro's mark, a 1 bedroomed flat (about 50 metres) will be around the 1000 euros mark. This is a very rough estimate as there are big differences in prices between the different areas but there are big differences in how safe they are as well!

I have some colleauges in my company (Italien, Indian) who have had no luck after 3 and 6 months of trying to find an apartment - usually it was the fact that they did not have guarantors in France which went against them.

The main reason is that the french social laws are very protective for tennants so they take special care to see they are good tennants!

Anyway, good luck! If you are prepared for a struggle then it's OK (and it helps to have money, you may find some furnished flats - more expensively - where the requirements may be less stringent).

If you have any specific questions about particular areas then please ask!

-Rob-

• 1 month later...
Dear Crevette:

I was browsing the posts here, and I like Dreamer am planning to move to France. However, I will only be in France  when I get employment from a Paris based company. When a company relocates an employee, is it still as difficult as you say to secure a lease on an apartment? I don't imagine that an employer would guarantee the lease or do they? There must be some arrangements for expats that work as foreign nationals. Pls advise. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Cyn,

That's a different situation all-together!

If you have a company helping out it opens a lot of doors. There are actually companies in Paris which are paid by companies to find the staff an accomodation. Landlords are usually a lot more keen to have expats in.

The point where you may still have ifficulties is finding a guarantor - if the company will do it for you you are lucky.

-Rob-