How can I get this disk to work?

I have a mini sized disk that I need to work in order to start using my new MP4.

I have put it in my computer expecting it to start automatically, to no avail.

I have Windows XP all in French and I would like to now what to do next please.

Thanks

The disk probably needs partitioning and formatting.

Right click on My Computer then choose Manage then Disk Management

You should see your new disk and you can partition and format it from here.

I don't quite understand your post though when you say "I need to work in order to start using my new MP4" ?

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

By "mini sized disc" I assume that you mean a CD-ROM type disc which is about 3" in diameter[/quote]Seems I perhaps misunderstood what you have, when you said "mini disk" I thought you meant a mini hard drive in which case my earlier advice is not relevant.

Not all CD's autostart (as you have discovered) so as Clarkkent has said you will need to use My Computer to browse to the disk and then look for a file named START or SETUP or INSTALL and run it.

Is there no paperwork with the player at all? It would be most unusual to not have at least some brief written instructions.

Which MP4 player is it ?

Unfortunately it's not always that easy.

Certainly with the likes of iPods and Sony players, both of which I have first hand experience of, you effectively cannot use their players without installing their custom software, it's all to do with DRM (Digital Rights Management) or, in other words, we're all deemed to be thieving pirate b******s, guilty of stealing music, until proven innocent.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in thanking you all [:$]

I have been trying to get it to work and this is where I am at.

The disk doesn't register at all on my computer ( I don't know the technical terms) but I think its only purpose is to allow the USB connection because that is all it says on it  eg USB Driver.

I have stuck the USB into the Ipod and the computer. On the screen of the Ipod it indicates that it is aware that it is connected to the computer and is sleeping ' zzzzzzzzzzz'.

I am not sure know how to send my down loaded music to the Ipod.

This is the model ( I can hear you taking sharp intakes of breath already) but it was a Christmas present from my sister . I didn't want a dear one ( not that she would buy me one ) because I don't get on very well with technical things!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=190070847301&ih=009&category=73839&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:ENDSOON

I think the disc will be for Win98 etc PCs (god are they still around!) and will be the USB drivers for those systems.  WinXP is already USB setup, so you dont need to run the disc.  But without seeing it no guarantees!

Just connect the player to the PC, it will then probably ask you want you want to do.  If not, run windows explorer (right click the start button, click explore) and you should see the player listed as a drive.  You simply save your music to it, either via Explorer or one of the many music apps that are available.

It may say its sleeping because the batts are flat??  Are they built in rechargables, if so it'll take a while for them to charge via the USB.  Sorry cant see which player you have, the link fails.

Hope this helps

[quote user="PCWhizz"]You simply save your music to it, either via Explorer or one of the many music apps that are available.[/quote]Not if it's an iPod you can't, or at least not without unofficail third party software of some description.

I'm pretty sure it will only work with iTunes which will need to be installed before plugging the iPod in.

Is it second hand perhaps and didn't come with some instructions telling you what to do ?

If it was bought on eBay possibly the seller hasn't included the iTunes CD but you should be able to download it from the Apple site somewhere.

Hi Beryl,

Could you clarify what the player actually is (make / model) as it will make it easier to help you?  The link to the eBay item doesn’t seem to work.

In your original post you describe it as an “MP4”; in your second post you say it is an “iPod”.  Is it an actual “Apple iPod” or “Apple iPod Nano” etc, or some other make of MP3 player?

If your PC has Windows XP and the player is a generic MP3 (music) player (rather than an “Apple iPod” or some Sony players), you probably don’t need the disc you have as when the MP3 player is connected to your computer through a USB socket, your PC should recognise that the player is connected and you should be able to “copy and paste” MP3 format music files from your PC to the player.

If it’s an “Apple iPod” or a Sony player you will need to use their own software to move your music from your PC to the player.

I don’t think there’s any point going into any more detail until we hear from you with details of what the player actually is – but I’m sure we’ll be able to help you get it going!