moving to france eventualy

hello my name is Dave,I am new to this forum,i plan to move to france eventualy,my gf is french and lives in a village not to far from besancon,i am about 99.9 percent we will get married,oh yea i forgot to mention i am an american,i am looking for anykind of advice or information that will help me to immigrate to this beautiful country,i have purchased a book, and i wanted to know if anyone knows about it, and if so how much truth is in this book,the books name is,working and living in france the ins and outs,thankyou

Strange that the Rose Marie Burke book doesn't appear to be available on Amazon. And the only Google reference to this person seems to be a guide to cycling in Paris http://www.parisvoice.com/voicearchives/01/june/html/tips.html. I thought I knew most of the 'Go to France' books, but the only one with that title I know is the David Hampshire one already referred to. There's another, of which that forms part of the title, by Genevieve Brame http://www.kogan-page.co.uk/bookdetails.aspx?ISBN=0749442549.

But whichever book you  are talking about it is likely to not be current. France's president is intent on changing a lot of things - and although the health reforms that are so widely discussed here are not going to have so much of an effect on those from outside the EU (which I presume you are, judging by where you chose to post your question) other reforms might well render the information in the books out of date. Forums like this one are the best place to get information - though always get confirmation of important points from a qualified person rather than rely on the internet (or books come to that).

• 4 weeks later...

I had a property in France jointly with my ex-wife - we had intended to move there to stay eventually.  As things went pear-shaped she sold the house and I am back in South Africa but have a strong desire to move back to France some time (I am still a UK Citizen).  I found it very hard to get a job there over the 6 years that we travelled back and forth from the UK and would go the self-employment route when I go back there.

So much for 'totsi' (actually spelt tsotsi) - I am SA born with a Brit passport and have lived in the UK for 10 years until last January.  I still want to go and live in France - the property we owned was in Eymet near Bergerac and if I go back it will be to that area.