French programmes?

Since I upgraded the HDD on my laptop a couple of programmes have loaded in French. They are Nero and MediaStudio Pro. They are both programmes that I have had for ages and have loaded before in English. Can anyone tell me what I must have done when I reloaded XP Home on the new disk to do this. Obviously a silly mistake on the reload, but I can't find it.

On 'Control Panel - Regional & Language Options' the language is set to English (United Kingdom), 'Location - France'. I have only just changed the location from England to France.

Yes, this is a bit of a problem and I think the fix is to tell XP a little lie in that its located in UK and not France.

Another fix (may be) would be to check out the Nero etc and there might be a language setting.

Another angle to take is leave it and use it to improve your french - you'll soon get the hang of  it!

Hi,

I suggest you re-install both programmes and make sure that if there is a choice during installation you select English as the language.

Have you upgraded the new installation of Windows XP Home to Service Pack 2? (if not already included)

Finally, what advantage is there to setting the location to France?, I recently talked a friend through re-installing Windows XP Pro on a new HDD and set everything to the UK.  I just set the clock 1 hour ahead, and everything is fine.

Hi Tel,

We have XP Pro on our tower and Home on this laptop, both with SP2. All the updates too.

I reloaded MediaStudio Pro and used the English option. I have yet to try Nero? I am confused as to why it suddenly decided to do the French route. Both XPs are the English versions. Enough trying to learn to speak to people never mind cornered rats like PCs, oh how I HATE PCs! Mainframes are nice friendly animals!!!

I had England set as Location and only changed it just before the original post.

Hi Jonzjob,

I have no idea either.  However the friend who I assisted in re-installing XP pro found that when she tried to download a file or programme from the internet, the Windows download warning window was in French.  On investigation I found that she used the Orange internet icon to connect to the internet not the Internet Explorer icon, this told the download website that she was in France and adjusted the language accordingly.  On changing the default connect icon to the standard windows one it corrected the problem.  Maybe there are cookies on your P.C. from your I.S.P. confusing the windows installer.

[8-)]

I too am with Orange/wanadoo Tel, but I wouldn't touch their connection software with a very long stick. Mine loads via the M/soft logo. All of the reload info was in English. If I remember correctly you state what language you want part way through??

Not sure about the cookie idea, or where to look either.

We have a PC in France with French Windows XP, Word etc but choose, where possible, to install programs in English. After it went wrong and we had to reload Windows etc, Photoshop, which was previously in English, refused to install in anything other than French. So it seems to be pretty random.