Internet Subscription

Forgive me if this is a naive question but looking at the Orange site I see that there is a delay of 15 days between signing up for ADSL and getting on line. We would like to be up and running as soon as possible after arriving - we already have a working phone line and number. My question is this: can a sign up from my computer in the UK?

Patrick

As long as you have a French bank account and the phone line is active and in your name, I can't see why not. 

The delay is because FT have to do some jiggery-pokery with your existing phone connection, at the request of the ISP, in order to make your line ADSL.

We signed up for ADSL through the Orange website from the UK lat month and when we went to France 2 weeks later it was easy enough to set up the internet connection.  The modem was delivered to our local post office in France.

If they are delivering you a modem it will almost certainly require a signature. Others (here) have reported big problems when they were not present to sign for the modem. Nothing specific to Orange (though I do remember comments about delivery of a Livebox) as I would expect all ISPs delivering hardware to require a signature.

The 2 weeks is variable and to an extent depends on how busy FT are in your area. The ISP (Wanadoo/Orange or whoever has to put in a request to FT to switch your ADSL to their network. The fact that Orange/Wanadoo are also part of FT is not particularly relevant. The bulk of the delay tends to be on FT's side. I have experienced some very quick ADSL switches by FT (within a day) and some very slow ones (more than a month) - both extremes in the same area and within a few weeks of each other (so it can be difficult to predict actual timescales).

Ian

Thanks for those replies. No problem about the modem, since I have my own. I will need to get hold of filters - presumably I can just pop into an FT shop and pick those up. So I will go ahead and subscribe.

Incidentally, I note that Orange are now offering ADSL "sans engagement" at exactly the same price as if on a 12 month contract. It has me wondering what the catch might be.

Patrick