Easy internet dial up?

Hi. We coming to France tomorrow for a few days and would like to pick up and send email, pehaps some browsing.

We can bring with us an old Win98 laptop with an internal modem and have a standard French Telecom  phone line at our destination (I pay the phone bill).

We don't have a French ISP or a UK to French telephone jack converter.

I can understand Klingon better than I can French .Blush [:$]

Is there an easy way of doing this?

If you are already a France Telecom customer and have a FT shop near you then a dial-up connection can normally be arranged the same day. You go into the shop armed with a RIB from your French Bank, a copy of an EDF bill and possibly an old FT bill.We did just this before we were even resident here when we were staying in a rented Gite which had an FT line [with the owner's approval I must add].

Edit: There is a contract with FT involved in this but it is not time defined and is easy to cancel with one month's notice at any time.

Sue

[quote user="Misty1"]

Hi. We coming to France tomorrow for a few days and would like to pick up and send email, pehaps some browsing.

We can bring with us an old Win98 laptop with an internal modem and have a standard French Telecom  phone line at our destination (I pay the phone bill).

We don't have a French ISP or a UK to French telephone jack converter.

I can understand Klingon better than I can French .

Is there an easy way of doing this? [/quote]

Sorry missed this before:

The FT shop or any reasonably big supermarket or Brico place such as Weldom should do an [RJ45?] connection cable with a telephone jack on the end. In the FT shops they are usually pretty good at finding someone to help out if you have problems with French.

I would be a little careful doing lots of surfing with Win98 though - AFAIK Zonealarm and most AV have stopped doing updates for it - so be watchful.

Sue