Paris or Lyon?

Oh boy, moving to France! Having decided to take a year away from

university to go have adventures abroad and get myself into (and out

of) all sorts of trouble, I'm stuck decided where exactly to go.

Paris or Lyon?

I live in Ottawa, Canada now (about 1 million people, suburbs

included), and I'm looking for a change in every sense of the word. I

hesitate from diving into Paris because, from what I gather, it's big

and crazy and congested. I thought Lyon might make a good home base

because there would still be plenty happening, I would still get a

really great appreciation for French culture, food, city life (etc!!),

but perhaps on a more pleasant scale.

So what are your thoughts? I'm looking for information on the FEEL of

these cities, from someone who has lived in either. This is stuff I

just can't figure out from tourist information!

Here's what I'm interested in (as a broke 22 year old):

- job opportunities (preferable in the fitness industry.) My French is

pretty good, and I'll probably be fluent after a month or two of

immersion.

- affordable rent. I don't mind being broke, but I can't get into debt or be stuck at home every evening either.

- nightlife. I know Paris has got it. What about Lyon?

- Green spaces. I find too much concrete or Walmarts or typical north

american suburbs to be visually insulting to the point of nausea.

Please no! What's the best remedy?

- Experience. I'm ready to bring my spontaneity to the table if either

city is willing to reward that with lots of cool stuff to do. And I

don't mean museums.

- People. Am I going to be able to handle tourists in Paris? Are Lyonnaises too cold? I won't know anyone when I move!

Please let me know your impressions - this will help me out so much!

J

• 4 weeks later...
Hi J and welcome to the forum - though I have never lived in either city i have spent quite a bit of time in both and have both Parisien and Lyonais friends.

From your post I reckon either city would suit you!  You get ticks in all boxes from both cities;  Lyon has the better countryside on its doorstep and will be cheaper ... but then again Paris has that certain je ne sais quoi!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wildcardinside

Of the two in my opinion Lyon would be the better choice.

Paris is great to visit, but talking from experience, it's not the best place to live. The weather is grim, winter is cold, wet and grey, summer warmer, wet and grey. Last year summer began and ended in April [:(] The weather in Lyon is much drier and warmer. It also offers the chance to ski in the winter months, the nearest slopes being less than an hour away.

The cost of living in Paris is also huge. Last week I went for a pizza in Paris and it cost 14 euros!!! A few nights later I was in Italy and a similar pizza cost less than 6 euros, and was served by a waiter who actually understood the concept of customer service. While alcohol in supermarkets is quite cheap, drinking out is unbelievable, a beer at the hotel near CDG airport is 9 euros !!! The bars regularly charge at least 7 !!

You also say you don't like too much concrete, the French love the stuff, as you will notice when you arrive in Paris CDG, it is the largest piece of concrete I have ever seen. The geography of the Paris area is as flat as a billiard table with very little to see, Lyon has far more to offer in this area.

Finally nightlife. As a 22 year old I guess it is important to you, I know it was to me when I was your age. Be warned, France is not renowned for it's vibrant nightlife. The majority of the towns and villages in the country effectively close around 6pm and you won't see a soul. Most of the tourist places have a nightlife that rises and falls with the tourist season. That said Paris and Lyon do offer the best of what is avaialable. If nightlife is really important you might want to consider Spain.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Oakbri has a good point, in that France is not renowned for its nightlife and the culture of clubbing in virtually non existent, other than in certain areas like St Tropez in the season. Not sure the reason why, it could be cultural, or that young French people just do not have the level of income to afford it.

I have sons a little younger than you and they show no inclination to visit France anymore on holiday for this very reason.