Would someone please clarify...

Hi there,

I am new to this site and love it to bits!!!  I have been reading posts for days but now I have a question and hope someone can help me.  I posted this on another site and was told to post it here....here it goes.

I am an American and my husband is English. He has been living in the

US for over 20 years (with a green card) and we are planning on moving

to France to retire. I returned Monday and it looks as if we may be buying a house...but that is another story.

My puzzlement begins....I rang the French Embassy to find out my husband's status according to

them. They said that even though he has lived in the states for so

long, he is still considered a member of the EU since he has a British

passport. That being the case, from what I have read, entitles me to

live in France too, correct or not? My problem is that since he has not

paid into the system in the UK for so many years,  how would this all work out??  He is over 65, works and receives Social Security

from the US.  I do too, since I had a liver transplant four years ago today, but am under 65.   I am pretty sure we

both need private insurance, since Medicare does not cover us abroad, and I also need to fill out a long term

visa application, and apply for a carte d'sejour, no???

Could someone

please set me straight on this since I have read so many conflicting

pieces of information at this point I am going gray!  I also read tonight that since I had a transplant, I can become part of the CMU....and now, I am completely and utterly confused!

I look forward to hearing from someone...but won't be back until tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,

Karen

He's over 65 and has been in the USA for 'over 20 years'. It sounds like he was working and paying tax & national insurance (social security) in the UK for something like 20 years. That should qualify him for a UK old age  pension, which gives him an E121, which gets him into the French health system and you can piggy-back off that. What would happen should he pre-decease you I'm not sure, but you might qualify for a UK pension based on his contributions.

You need to talk to the UK national insurance office to find out whether one or both of you does qualify for a pension. If so, then you will be covered for French health requirements.

Karen,

You also need to get tax advice, because as you are aware US Citizens and Green Card holders still pay US Federal taxes even if you are permanently non US resident. Although, you would hopefully get relief under the US/France tax treaty, I believe the US in its wisdom has recently reduced allowances given to US expatriates. In fact if your husband qualifies for a UK State pension you could find that taxed in the UK, USA and France!

If your husband is considering giving up his Green Card, again you must take tax advice, as that it its own right can trigger off US tax exit charges. The US authorities for some reason take a dim view of US Citizens revoking their citizenship or long term Green Card holders giving up their status, as they presume it is to avoid US taxes until proven otherwise. 

With regard to your medical situation it is highly unlikely that you will be able to obtain comprehensive private medical insurance in France, as existing conditions and any connected complications would be excluded from cover Therefore, I would defer any final decisions to move, until you are certain you would be covered through your husband during his lifetime and afterwards should you survive him.

Presumably, you will qualify for Medicare in the good old USA when you retire and if so you have the fall back option to return to America?

Thank you so much for your replies.  I shall try this agian since my computer is acting up...

Yes, my husband does qualify for a pension in the UK but he was planning on doing all the paper work there...do not ask me why.  Must be a guy thing...no offense meant :)

I am on Medicare since I am qualified as disabled here in the States and was planning on keeping up the payments just in case.  Having a transplant puts your life in another category altogether...never know what can happen!

I believe the French and the US have reciprocity regarding pensions (this from the French Embassy).  We would only pay taxes on our income...which we do not have... and  on the interest when we sell our house here in the states.  I have already been to France and back and found a lovely house, which throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing!!!  No, we are not rich, but what a deal we got on the house...we are in the process but have not yet made up the Comprise....

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,

Karen

As your husband qualifies for a UK pension then you will both be covered for standard French healthcare. Normally that reimburses 70% of your costs -- you can take out a 'mutuelle' to cover the remainder. You can also qualify for 100% reimbursement for certain long term conditions, so if you need medication because of your transplant you might get it free.

I'm glad your husband is sorting out his pension; it's not really the sort of thing to leave to the little woman. [6]