Dial up broadband

This is a bit of a strange one, but we have just bought a house in 09 at which they currently use Orange ADSL via Livebox (non-dégroupé). We are collecting the keys at the end of the month and spending a couple of months down there, but I will need Internet access from the minute that we move in, in order to carry on running the business. Ideally, I am wanting to go with Free.fr as they can offer a fixed IP address for free (necessary for my husband's work), but they advise that we cannot apply for the package until the line has been vacated by the current inhabitants and then it will be 10 days-3 weeks before the service is live. Is this really the case?! If so, has anybody got any experience of dial up ADSL ? Any recommendations? We will want to be going wireless. This would at least tide us over until the Free account is activated.

'dial up' and ADSL are two very different animals.  You may be able to get dial up at a max 56Kbps very quickly, after all it's just a question of subscribing then making the telephone call with your modem (NOT the same kind of modem as you use for ADSL)  but 56k is the absolute maximum and may well be less.  I don't think you will get a fixed IP address with any dial up providers either.

Dinks

I dont know if France is the same but when I had ISDN in the UK there was still a wait as you have to have special equipment installed to handle the ISDN line.

Would the present owners let you have another line installed before you take over so that you can numbers etc registered in your name so it is ready for when you move in.

[quote user="briwy"]   

Dinks

I dont know if France is the same but when I had ISDN in the UK there was still a wait as you have to have special equipment installed to handle the ISDN line.

Would the present owners let you have another line installed before you take over so that you can numbers etc registered in your name so it is ready for when you move in.

[/quote]

That would have been ideal, but unfortunately, they will need the line the day before we move in, as he works from his laptop like me! So they are not prepared to do the changeover until the final minute :-(