Lower Mobile Roaming Charges

Most UK networks already have some sort of international traveller discount scheme. Unfortunately unless you keep an eye on the network websites or call their customer service department before travelling abroad you may not find out about them. Would a network rather you paid £1.50 a minute or 25p?

As an example, O2 has “My Europe” which is free to both contract and PAYG customers – this gives you incoming and outgoing calls to anywhere in Europe (landline or mobile) for 35p per minute.

For £10 for a month O2 has “My Europe Extra” which gives you outgoing calls to anywhere in Europe (landline or mobile) for 25p per minute and FREE incoming calls (the total of incoming and outgoing calls is limited to 1000 minutes a month).

With either of the above “bolt-ons”, a call from an O2 mobile in France to an Orange France mobile would be cheaper than a cross-network call when in the UK – not a bad deal!

If you intend to use a UK network mobile abroad, I’d recommend you check your network’s website regularly for details of international roaming schemes.
O2 details: http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/tariffsandboltons0153

The EC announcement does not impact on the cost of text messaging – I guess the networks will keep these at around 25p in order no to lose any more profit from international calls.

I've just checked my Luxembourg Tango phone (part of Tele2)  Calls to a landline in most of Europe and North  America cost 13 cents a minute, or only 8 cents if I signed up to their overseas offer for 4 euros a month.  Calls to mobiles in these areas cost 25 cents a minute more.  SMS to anywhere cost 8 cents each.   I have no 'free' minutes but I have no monthly charge either. PAYG is about the same and the credit doesn't expire, just have to make at least 1 call every 6 months I think.  Calls outside Lux (e.g. France to France or France to UK) cost around 75 cents a minute.  Tango claim to be 'the second cheapest in Europe' - they don't say who's cheapest.  If they can do it, why not everyone else?