Moving house with Neuf

We want to keep Neuf at our new address, but although we've seen a phone line to the house we don't know what the old phone number was. The address covers about 6 or 8 houses, so how will Neuf know which phone line to activate? I've tried asking France Telecom if they can tell me the old number but they say they have no record of non current numbers. I've asked the notaire to ask the vendor, but he lives in a different part of France so he may not know the number.

I believe I can dial a code from the defunct phone line but I'd like to get the transfer ordered before we move so as to limit the time we're without the phone.

Anyone got any ideas?

When we moved here some eighteen months ago, the estate agent arranged the connection of the phone on our behalf, I was in the office when she did. My understanding is that you will get a different number when you are connected up, FT seem to do this automatically.

I don't know if it is possible to transfer the line as you can do in the UK, then most people seem to move away from the area to other parts of France.

You may need a French Bank account in order to have the direct debit applied, we did all this after purchase of the property, a couple of weeks before we moved across. It all went well and the number and an internet connection were all set up before we arrived to kick off on the day we moved in.

I paid to have calls to our old number in UK redirected to my mobile number. Seems to me that all this is so easy when you speak the language and know the system.

More2learn.

The difficulty is more one of identifying the house without knowing the old phone number - as I said the address covers several houses. Ideally I'd like to apply to Neuf for the transfer of service before our move so as to minimise the time that we're off line.

Unfortunately we're trying to sort it out from 600km away as we're moving from Lot et Garonne to Normandy.