I have just bought a new Acer Aspire laptop and am having all the normal, to me, fun and games with it! It took me ages to find that I had to use the Acer system to get the WIFI connection up and running. I finally managed to set up my e-mail account with Windowz Mail (for the moment. Changing to Outlook, I hope, later) and now I am trying to sort out how to get the internet account up and running?

Can anyone tell me how I convince this thing that I want to enter my connection identity, 'fti/xxxxxxxx' and my connection password pretty please???

I got an Acer Aspire last year and so far, I've been very pleased with it. I've also grown to like Windows Mail, although I do have the full blown Outlook on the main machine still.

As far as your Wi Fi connection is concerned, well it's nearly a year ago since I did mine, and I'm not sure of your set up, but I don't think you have to enter the Orange info FTI/ etc. The way my system works is that the main pc is connected via a network (Ethernet) cable. It's that machine I used to set up the ADSL modem, in my case a Netgear.

When I got the laptop, I made sure the modem was switched on, (it lives in the sous sol) and then told the new laptop to look for any wireless networks. It did it's search and found my network. All I had to do was tell it to try to connect to that network - it asks you for a password which you should have previously setup with the modem. If all is well, away you go. It really was that simple when I did it.

The pasword it requires is one that you would have set up when you installed the modem on your main machine - at no time do you have to enter your details from Orange, or your network provider.

I've assumed Jonzjob that you do have another machine before the laptop, as I've seen your entries on here many times.

I hope I've been some help.

Regards - Tim

Hi Nick & Tim, I have a Wanadoo livebox. A tower PC connected via an ethernet cable and prior to the new laptop another laptop connected via ethernet aswell. Both through the livebox. I changed the connection for the fist tank (TV) to the 2nd ethernet connection. They both worked very well.

I have not set up the internet account on the Acer yet and that is why I am trying to find my way to entering the user name and password for it.

As for the Orange/Wanadoo software I wouldn't touch it with a long pole!

The Acer is able to connect to the web and get the Vista updates, but when I try to go online with it I just get the screen telling me "The web page is unavailable because you are off line"

It must have been a  L _ O _ N _ G  day yesterday!!!!! I have just tried again and using my old system "If all else fails, read the ******* instructions" I checked to make sure the 'Work offline' box was not checked? It was [:'(][:-))][Www][8-)][:$]!!!

Next task. Set up the LAN and get them to talk to each other??

Now where's them indestructionz?[8-)]

John,

Could you clarify….. were you using a wireless broadband router with your previous PC/laptop?  If so I agree with Nick’s point that the “connection identity” is stored in the modem (broadband router) and you will have entered the details required to connect to the internet via your previous PC or one on your network.

When you turn on a wi-fi enabled laptop for the first time in range of a wireless network, (so long as wi-fi is activated on the laptop) it should “find” the network and automatically connect to the network if it is an “unsecured” network.

If your network is a “secure network” you will be prompted to enter a network “security key” the first time – you may have chosen this when you first set up the broadband router or it may be on a label on the bottom of the router.  Once connected to your wireless network, the laptop will connect to the internet using the settings already stored in the router.

I’ve just refreshed the post and note you are using a Livebox – I’ve no personal experience of using a Livebox, but my understanding is that it is essentially a wi-fi broadband router.  The above is my experience of connecting to networks…… you mention that your laptop has connected to the Microsoft update site via your Livebox – what happens if you click on “File” and untick “Work Offline”? (in Internet Explorer).

Glad you got it going ok. The good thing about all this is at no time do you have to worry about whether to use the Orange software on your new machine - just not needed.

I have never used a disc sent to me for any service provider - when asked to help out problems with friends and neighbour's computers I've always found the supplied software to be very 'over the top' and bloated.

The fun starts now with file sharing - good luck - you'll be there for hours[:)]

Tim

Jonzjob - In order to make the wireless connection between your laptop and Livebox, you need to go to "network connections" on your laptop, then "find all available networks", after that your Livebox network should show up. Click on your Livebox network, and when asked for the WEP key give it the 26 character key in letters and figures printed on the base of your Livebox.

That should connect you.

Hope that helps.