Anyone know where we are vis-a-vis Freesat on Eurobird1 and the introduction of the HD service? Is it still on course for April?

As to the kit, the web site talks about "....one-off cost for box/dish/installation..."  Is the kit (are the boxes, as stand-alone items) appearing in the UK shopping sheds yet? Or is the 'installation' bit going to be obligatoire?

Though I don't know why I'm bothering: looking down the TV listings for today, I can't see anything which would be improved greatly by being in higher definition!

p

The latest info I have is that the box manufacturers are still in discussion with the guys that set the technical specification. I understand that actual boxes are being built, so it's likely to be a software issue that's holding things up. In some places I've read that Spring 2008 is still the deadline, but apparentely that could take us up to June.

Tim

By the way, although some of the 'blurb' that was put out some time ago did refer to Freesat on Eurobird 1, I don't think the channels that are currently on Astra 2D - BBC/ITV etc will be moving - the footprint of Astra 2D is tthe main reason that the BBC followed by ITV were able to go free to air. In fact, there is speculation that some encrypted channels currently on 2D will move to leave transponders free for more Freesat services - we'll see.

Tim

From what I gather (and confirming Timco's observation) it's the EPG and interactive stuff that will be on Eurobird 1, provided on behalf of the Freesat consortium by Arquiva.   In fact I've read that the streams are testing at the moment (although you'd need a complex decoder to view the bitstreams at the moment).

I wonder if Sky will drag their heels about moving encrypted channels from Astra 2D.   With 2D being full (AFAIK) it would spike C4's plans to go FTA if there was no room on the tighter UK beams..... although I'm sure in the end ways would be found to accommodate them...