forgotten the name of a French? phone company that allowed relatives in UK to call a UK number for our French land line at a reduced rate

Hello

I was given the name of I think French phone company that allowed relatives in the UK to call our French land line using a UK number starting 0844 ....... This wasn't a pre code to enable the usual French land line number to be dialled after the code number, but a dedicated number allotted to the French user. I believe the cost was about 2p per minute.

This was about 2 years ago and as we were not in France for extanded periods didn't follow it up, but now we are in France for nearly 6 months a year it has become more important.

Has anybody heard of such a thing?

Thanks

... thanks Clair, but the number is a 11 digit number dialled in the UK without adding any French number but rings straight into a French landline? I am pretty sure that the company is French and that the system allowed UK based relatives to use only a simple single phone number. I think also that the service allowed heavily discounted calls to the rest of the world from the French landline phone.

I know it existed as I looked at their website and was recommended to me by someone I met only once!

Last year I used Teleconnect for a broadband connection with VOIP. We were given a number for UK friends and relatives to phone which connected directly to our French landline number. It was called UK2U and started with 0844.

www. teleconnect.fr

Is this what you are looking for?

... absolutely spot on! many thanks indeed. May I ask how well that worked for people in the UK and do you still use it now?

I discovered in the search for the above a company called      http://www.phonecheap.co.uk/rates.php    who by dialling a fairly long access number enable UK residents to call a French land line for 0.5p per minute plus a similar cost from BT. This works very well as I have tried it but I was looking for something simple as we have a number of very elderly relatives and a 22 or 23 digit phone number it just a little too much.

Many thanks indeed, I was starting to think I had invented it!

Jamie