Spaces instead of asterisks in my passwords!

I am having problems logging into several of my internet accounts as when I enter the password, instead of getting a neat little row of asterisks like I did until a day or two ago - one for each letter or number - my machine is now entering a space per entered character instead. It is therefore impossible to tell how many characters the machine has accepted - and I have got it wrong on two different bank accounts already resulting in me being 'frozen out' and having to call up for a password reset! Remember having this problem before but haven't a clue how we put it right. Can anybody help? It's driving me potty and costing me a fortune in 'phone calls to call centres!

Yes we are on Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 7. We have Norton 360 as the virus protection and I do suspect that something in the daily 'mise a jour' has something somewhere..  I am sure the problem lies somewhere in one of the Internet settings, I just can't find where it is though.

Albert the InfoGipsy : Good idea to do a copy/paste on the passwords as a short term fix, I shall do that to save me tearing my hair out.