Where do we start????

Ljt

Hi all
We're heading off to the Limousin in a few weeks to start looking for a slice of peace to call our holiday home.

We have bags of enthusiasm but limited supplies of lolly and so are anticipating having to buy a property that needs a bit of work done.

In saying that we're not keen on complete renovation as we're pretty good at the basics of DIY, but haven't got a clue about serious re-building.

Can anyone provide a short (or long if you can be bothered) list of what to look for when we go house hunting, ie what to stay well clear of, and what is able to be rectified?

Any tips at all would be most welcome - I'm feeling pretty nervous at what we could end up buying!!!

Also, has anyone used the Links agency before? Are they recommended?

Thanks!!

Leish

Have a good look at the condition of the roof.
Other areas to consider; Is there mains electricity and water as these can be expensive to install. Is there a septic tank installed? Check for any large cracks in the walls especially near gable ends. Check for any major obvious infestations of woodworm or termite damage.
Basically use your common sense, ask the agent questions and perhaps try to meet the present owners on site?

Paul

We used Links property services when we looked at property in Brittany in July this year. They were very helpful, arranging everything for us, appointments with the agents in France and even arranging our accommodation. We didn't see a property that we really wanted but we never felt under any pressure to buy anything. The agents that showed us around spoke English and were helpful and friendly.
Hope this is of some help to you,

Mandy

For what its worth we are moving to the limousin permanently on 13:11:01 and I'm a retired builder. If you are still stuck after that time and worried about a Limousin house give me a ring on 05 55 60 43 96 and I'll try to answer any queries. If it's close I'll even pop over. I'm not interested in any building work at present (as I've got years of work on my own place)so you can rest assured this isn't a sprat to catch a mackerel!