Fosse Septic

As a mains drains man all my life can anyone tell me about septic tanks in France. Do they need much maintenance & what problems could I expect or should look out for.
I would be grateful for any comments from users of these systems as I am looking to buy in the Limousin & most properties seem to be on S/T's.
Thanks!!

Check first of all that it is a septic tank it is all going into. I just bought two cottages and one sewage system empties into the gully besides the road 100 yards away and the other should discharge into the garden (open ended pipe on grass) except that the pipe is broken as it passes through the garage . The only thing to go into the septic tank are that which goes through you, French toilet paper, and allowed chemicals (read the label first)

>As a mains drains man all
>my life can anyone tell
>me about septic tanks in
>France. Do they need much
>maintenance & what problems could
>I expect or should look
>out for.
>I would be grateful for any
>comments from users of these
>systems as I am looking
>to buy in the Limousin
>& most properties seem to
>be on S/T's.
>Thanks!!

I put mine in 11 years ago. It is a concrete 3000L toutes eau model. I used a large amount of gravel for the drainage bed.
It seems to have worked, it has never been emptied, and is nowhere near full yet. The vast malority of the waste is broken down by a chemical process. If you remember to dose it properly with the correct chemicals, on a regular basis, then it should work fine.
Remember to only use the correct type of toilet roll, and no bleach! Apparently years ago, they used to chuck a dead sheep down the hole just to keep the bacterialogical process going. Perhaps I can persuade the moher in law to peer into mine......tee hee!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tony, I have some very good information on Septic Tank systems from Titan Pollution Control, web site www.titanpc.co.uk
direct your query to the sales office. They sent me a complete pack on ST,s and installation drawings, might need to alter these though due to french changes. Hope it helps
Will make nice light reading now the nights are drawing in!!!!