Humax nice

[quote user="Tim"]

By saying 'ordinary Sky' I assume you mean the other satellite channels as I don't get Sky, only BBC etc. - in that case yes, I agree. I'm very pleased with my Humax PVR.

Regards - Tim

[/quote]

I think you can get hi-res Sky.

Channel 4 HD is not available on freesat - at the moment, although there are hopes that it may appear at some time.

ITV are playing games with their HD in that, as you say, it is only available to freesat viewers via the red button and not to Sky HD subscribers.Because of this, it's difficult to know when they are transmitting something in HD.

As I very rarely watch anything on ITV I don't find this to be a problem.

But I do agree, the Humax makes a better job of even the non HD channels than my old Sky box.

Regards - Tim

The Humax HD box seems to have a particularly sensitive tuner, that makes it good for France. We also have an old Panasonic, and a Pace 2600CI which are supposed to be the best Sky boxes for fringe reception, and the Humax has a stronger signal than either on the same dish.

Agreed - yet again, although I wouldn't take too much notice of a comparison with the signal strengths shown on a Sky box.

I have said on here before, they are notoriously poor at giving realistic readings - in the past I've had one machine that always showed I had no signal whatsover and another that was showing a good signal before I had even lifted the dish off the ground to mount it on the wall.

Regards - Tim

[quote user="Tim"]

ITV are playing games with their HD in that, as you say, it is only available to freesat viewers via the red button and not to Sky HD subscribers.Because of this, it's difficult to know when they are transmitting something in HD.

As I very rarely watch anything on ITV I don't find this to be a problem.

[/quote]

ITV HD schedule here http://www.itv.com/Channels/HD/WeeklyHDSchedule/default.html

It certainly looks lacklustre compared with BBC HD.