BARE ROCK IN BASEMENT

WE HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A HOUSE JUST OUTSIDE LA CROIX VALMER
IN VAR. IT IS BUILT INTO THE SIDE OF A ROCK FACE, THE UPPER FLOOR CLEAR OF THE ROCK BUT THE BASEMENT HAS A LARGE BARE OUTCROP TAKING UP A LARGE PART OF IT. THERE IS A GAP OF BETWEEN ONE AND TWO METRES BETWEEN THE TOP OF THE ROCK AND THE UNDERNEATH OF THE FLOOR ABOVE (CONCRETE AND TILES).
THE LAST OWNERS HAVE COVERED THE TOP OF THE ROCK WITH INSULATING MATERIAL AND PLASTIC SHEETING, NO DOUBT INTENDING TO STOP THE DAMP SMELL FROM PERMEATING TO THE UPPER FLOOR, HOWEVER A VISITING PLUMBER THOUGHT THIS WAS A BAD IDEA AND ONLY INCREASED THE SMELL.
HAS ANYBODY ELSE COME ACROSS THIS SITUATION AND CAN GIVE SOME ADVICE ??

• 2 weeks later...
As a builder I can only think of one answer; Jackhammer the rock down to a manageable size and 'tank' or coat the remaining level with one of the many brands of ruberoid paint. Hard work but I see no alternative!

Rog Spink (rogs)

This is a fairly common method of construction here. My husband (who has worked in the building trade for 40 years) advises that you should, wherever possible, create cross airflows in the basement, i.e. using air bricks or ventilation of whatever kind you can accommodate and if possible install some sort of extraction system.It may also be advisable to have a look around the outside of the building to make sure that there is free passage of water (rain) and no build up of debris. Most certainly you must remove and take as far away as possible the covering which has been put on which is of no help whatsoever. Fresh air is the best solution of all. We live and work in the Var so please feel free to contact us if you need any more help.

Jane