House Insurance

I am hopefully completing soon on a holiday home in Normandy and I believe that house insurance in France is obligatory. I have some information from Towergate Holiday Homes but it seems expensive. Can anyone recommend a good insurer - either British or French? We are buying the property with a UK mortgage(equity release on our main house) - I don't know if this makes a difference.
Many thanks
Helen

Don't insure it in the UK as a holiday home - go to your nearest insurance offices in France and get quotes for a 'maison secondaire'. That will probably be much cheaper.

French insurers seem to work on floor area (including outbuildings). We use our local AXA agent and insuring the French house costs much less than our house in the UK which has a similar area, but no outbuildings, and is continuously occupied. The insurer will probably insist on simple security measures like keeping shutters closed when you are not occupying the house.

Bill

http://www.letheil.com

Helen
We used Towergate for our insurance on our unconverted stable block in France. However a month after we had purchased the property the original insurers contacted us with a quote very very much cheaper than Towergate and with less restrictions. Needless to say we canceled and took out the French insurance especially as they knew the property. I only had insurance from the uk just incase I was asked about it on completion but I never was.
As everyone else says try a French insurer they usually are cheaper

Jackie

I don't know if you have your banking arrangements sorted, but we use Credit Agricole "Britline" based in Normandy for a number of things including insurance.

House and contents have been insured this year for Ff950 which seems pretty fair. All arranged by Email to - in English. Only documentation needed was a photo of the house to show we had shutters!

Maybe worth a try.

We like you have a (maison secondaire) near Malestroit
and we suggest going to a local office, We found the best quote from AXA less than 70.00, the only security measures were that we had to fit another main door lock, and either bars or shutters when the house was unoccupied, as our house is 400 years old,Bars were already in place,

Our problem is not with insurance in France but rather one
in the UK. Most british insurance companies will only give cover for 30 days,However we have found one that gives us 60 days,
does any one know of a reliable company giving more than 60 days,
As we are retired we like sometimes to spend more than this amount of time in our cottage without having to worry about the house in the UK.