Aggghhhh Whats Next

LAST EDITED ON 18-Oct-01 AT 09:33 PM (GMT)

Well thats it, tomorrow is the 7th day, we returned from France last week, having been shown a property (from under the table) by my lovely Notaire and completion is set for around the 15 decembre.

But how do I arrange to take over the elecricity from that date, and who goes in to check the meters,(the house is empty), do EDF go in on completion day, I have run out of holiday for this year and cannot stay for days and it is so near Christmas. I did read somewhere that one can get account details through the Notaire write to EDF and take over the same account, I also understand that there are different levels of entry for electricity supply and we have to inform EDF which level we require, the houe was previusly a holiday home so presumeably we can "take over" the exisitng account on the same basis.

Also I have tried to go back to read old messages regarding the cheap electricity and these little boxes with today tomorrow and flasing lights, can someone explain that again to me, and would my sort of contract qualify.

My husband also wants to know about the boxes to pick up english TV and do you have to pay a subscription

elaine

When we completed on our house last week, we arranged to meet the notaire to complete the paperwork at the end of the afternoon. This gave us time to inspect the house to make sure all was well and also we took meter readings, electricity and water (use a digital camera if you have one). Our very kind estate agent phoned through to EDF and Water Co. and gave them the readings and changed names etc. for us, perhaps your notaire will do the same thing for you if you ask him?

LAST EDITED ON 19-Oct-01 AT 06:54 AM (GMT)

>LAST EDITED ON 18-Oct-01
>AT 09:33PM (GMT)

>But how do I arrange to
>take over the elecricity from
>that date, and who goes
>in to check the meters,(the
>house is empty), do EDF
>go in on completion day,
>I have run out of
>holiday for this year and
>cannot stay for days and
>it is so near Christmas.
>I did read somewhere that
>one can get account details
>through the Notaire write to
>EDF and take over the
>same account, I also understand
>that there are different levels
>of entry for electricity supply
>and we have to inform
>EDF which level we require,
>the houe was previusly a
>holiday home so presumeably we
>can "take over" the exisitng
>account on the same basis.

Either make contact with the EDf yourself or get your notaire to give them a call. They will do the rest.Do take a meter reading if you can.

Depending on your installation, many meters can now be read from outside, by the EDF. You may even find that your meter is placed outside.

There are three basic tariffs - 1. Tariff Base in which you pay a flat rate all year round for the electricity.
2.Tariff heures creuse - which gives you 8 hrs in a 24 hr period of cheaper electricity. (You can even opt have some of these hours in daytime beween midday and 2pm)
3. And tariff Tempo which has three bands of charges, Red, white and blue. The most significant thing about this tariff is there are 22 days of the year - in winter when you pay 10 times the normal price.

Then, you have the "puissance" or the power requiremnt for your house. It usually goes up in bands of 3KW the lowest being 3KW up to 18KW for domestic users. The standard house will normally have a 6 or 9KW supply. You can have this upgraded fairly easily.
Bear in mind that you will pay a higher abbonement or standing charge, the higher power requirement you request.

This is only a brief summary, as it can be complicated. Have a look here for further info http://www.edf.fr/htm/en/et_vous/individuals/tarifs/Tariffs

>Also I have tried to go
>back to read old messages
>regarding the cheap electricity and
>these little boxes with today
>tomorrow and flasing lights, can
>someone explain that again to
>me, and would my sort
>of contract qualify.

This is mainly for the tempo tariff where you can have a device which will give you a day's warning of the following days charge band. Have a look in the archives.
>
>My husband also wants to know
>about the boxes to pick
>up english TV and do
>you have to pay a
>subscription

No, as long as you have a Uk address to use you can purchase a digital satellite receiver and obtain a "free to air" card which will give you the basic channels, as well as radio.
Using a Sky satellite system abroad is against the terms and conditions of SKy, so you must never disclose you are using the system abroad.
Have a look at this thread which explains everything in more detail

http://www.livingfrance.com/dcforum/DCForumID28/179.html

Paul

Hi Elaine

Glad you and John have finally found some place. Just being noisy but I am sure we'd all like some more details, having followed your searches through the forum.

When we completed on our apartment in August, the estate agent organised the changeover, notifying EDF and SAUR etc on our behalf, and even, at our request organised our insurance.

We have since received two electricity bills - Tariff creuse and our first water bill. Completing the direct debit details was very straightforward. Our meter boxes are outside so there are no access problems. If you bought via an estate agent ask them to organise as much as possible for you - after all you are just as much their client as the vendor.

Good luck with the purchase. Hope everything goes smoothly.

Barbara