ADSL line dropping

We have 2 PCs running off of a Livebox. A desktop running XP and a laptop which is now running Win 7. We also have an VIOP telephone from the Livebox. Originally the 2 PCs were connected to the Livebox by ethernet cables. When the desktop machine was switched on the ADSL (broadband) line dropped for several minutes and if you were on the VOIP telephone then he line dropped and you were cut off. Also the access to the internet on the laptop dropped. Both situations quite normal if the ADSL line is dropped.

I tried new filters on both the Livebox connection and the normal France Telecom phone sockets with no change. I thought that it was possible that the problem was because the Livebox was plugged into an extention so I moved it to the French equivelent of the master phone socket, but this has not made any difference.

Both machines are now on wifi connections because of the different location of the Livebox, so there is no physical connection from the PCs to the Livebox.

Please, please has anyone any idea as to why this is happening? It is so very frustrating when either my wife or I are are either on the phone or using the laptop and the other powers up the desktop and the line drops!

Before the Livebox was moved and the 2 PCs were on the ethernet cables I tried swopping the cables between the 2 ethernet ports on the Livebox, but it made no difference at all!