changing sim- keeping number

I am going to change my mobile sim and want to keep the number. I know I have to call the old operator and get an ROI to give to the new people, but at what point will they cut me off? Is it straight away? Or do I get a continuation of service? I can't see anything in the small print, maybe it's just that my French isn't good enough...

Karen

[quote user="Gironde Gal"]Apparently I have to call Orange so they can give me a code to release the number to the new operator...what I want to know is if Orange will cancel my PAYG account as soon as they give me the code?[/quote]

Why don't you ask them?

If you go to the top of this section of the forum you will see that there is a English speaking helpdesk for FT and Orange, just give them a call.

Just in case you can't find the post I am talking about use the link below to take you directly to it.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1801254/ShowPost.aspx

If the issue is to do with keeping or transferring credit I think perhaps the game changes.

I rather suspect that you won't actually be changing your SIM card at all, just porting your service to another operator, along with your existing number. That being so I don't see how your current credit can follow you as it is represents money you paid to the old provider not the new.

As I said before though, a very long time since I last went through such a process.