How to insert a photo in an e-mail (Orange messagerie)?

Thanks for your quick response Gary.

However, the paperclip is to attach a photo to the e-mail but I would like to know if I can actually insert a photo directly onto the body of the e-mail.

Main reason I'm asking is that someone was asking me to send them a photo this way as they cannot download (for some reason to do with her type of connection I think).

Anna

Well, I use Entourage on my Mac and attach photos using the "paperclip" system (its pretty well standard now on most emailers).

When the message arrives and is opened, the photo is embedded automatically into the body of the email.

If the problem is down to the size of the photo try either re-sizing it smaller and/or converting it from JPEG to GIF.

GIF photos are much smaller to send and lose minimum amount of detail.

Thanks again Gary.

Yes, you're, of course, correct!

I've just tried sending one to my other e-mail address!

I didn't realise that by attaching a photo that it would be seen in the e-mail!

I didn't actually try to send it that way, as the lady said that she couldn't open an attachment and I realise now that the photo would be shown in the e-mail!

Oh the joys lol !!!

Thanks for your help.

Anna

Gary

With Outlook there's a difference between attaching a photo and inserting it.

Attachment shows as a paperclip file which is generally opened separately.

An insertion appears within the body of the message. The problem with inserting a photo in the body of the message is that the size is awkward to control.

Of course not everyone uses the same email application so results may vary.

I use both Orange messagerie and Outlook, neither of these show an attachment in the mail body.

Sid

[quote user="sid"]I use both Orange messagerie and Outlook, neither of these show an attachment in the mail body.

Sid

[/quote]

Well, sorry to say it Sid, but you're wrong, with Orange Messagerie, anyway. I've just tried it and it works perfectly

You need to set up your incoming email programme to put them (the attachments) into the main body of text.

In Entourage its "Email Preferences" - "Mail" - "View" . Then tick "Show Pictures & Attachments in email"

I'm  guessing that other mail programmes have something similar.

Gary, Wrong in what respect?

I don't understand what it is that you've tried, but the OP wants to insert a photo in the body text using Orange Messagerie.

For sending via Orange Messagerie you cannot insert photos (for example) in the body text. If you have done this please tell me how you did it! Remember that Orange Messagerie is a web application, not PC-based, and therefore less sophisticated.

What happens at the other end when the message is received is altogether another matter, and depends how the mail program is configured, but the sender has no control over this.

For Outlook receipt it depends on the format of the message; ie whether the message is in HTML, plain text or Rich Text. For the first two the attachment is separate, for Rich Text it is shown in the body of the message.

I always use HTML where possible. Also, I wouldn't want attachments to always show in the body text, it wouldn't make sense for a WORD document for example and it rarely makes sense for photos which the receiver may wish to store in a photo folder, he/she would have to extract it from the message instead of simply right-click/save!!

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

Gary, Wrong in what respect?

I don't understand what it is that you've tried, but the OP wants to insert a photo in the body text using Orange Messagerie.

Initially yes, but the question was really, as shown in the later posts,  about the receiver actually getting the photo.

For sending via Orange Messagerie you cannot insert photos (for example) in the body text. If you have done this please tell me how you did it! Remember that Orange Messagerie is a web application, not PC-based, and therefore less sophisticated.

I didn't actually say you could insert them in the body of the email only that, if the recipients PC was set up in a certain way they would, on arrival, appear in the body of the email..

What happens at the other end when the message is received is altogether another matter, and depends how the mail program is configured, but the sender has no control over this.

Which is what I said or, at least, what I was trying to say.

For Outlook receipt it depends on the format of the message; ie whether the message is in HTML, plain text or Rich Text. For the first two the attachment is separate, for Rich Text it is shown in the body of the message.

I haven't used Outlook for years so I bow to your greater knowledge. [:)]

[/quote]

So, not wrong then? [;-)]

It's not a question of Outlook either, but an understanding of what happens to emails and how they are composed.

If you use an HTML format then anything can be embedded; it's a much more sophisticated format. If you use a simple text editor then you can compose text but any additional file has to be separate.

It's then a question of how it's viewed, which wasn't the original question.

Incidentally I have used Outlook for years, about fiftenn I think. [geek]

And for the OP's question, I still maintain that for communication between users on Orange Mess (!!) it is not possible to embed a photo at the sending end and then view it as embedded at the receceiving end. QED

Sid