Decent phone

I wonder if anyone can recommend a good phone. What we're after is a hands free - you know the kind with a terminal and one or two wireless extension phones. The problem is that we can never turn the volume up sufficiently with our present phone. We know it's not the line because with our old low tech phone the volume is fine. I expect we are going a bit deaf in our old age but we are not that deaf. I am reluctant to just order another phone because we may end up with another like the present one. So any recommendations gratefully received.

Patrick

I have had a Siemens Gigaset AC250 for a few years now and they are great. A long range even through the concrete walls and work fine on a normal FT line or via the Internet (Orange LiveBox). We bought a 'Trio' pack for around 79 Euros. That's a base station with no answerphone (we have an answerphone with Orange) and two more handsets. I think this is a old model know, I think the 360 replaces it. I found it by looking on Amazon UK and reading users comments then typing the descrition in to Google FR, I think Darty were the cheapest at the time.

[quote user="bixy"]

...What we're after is a hands free - you know the kind with a terminal and one or two wireless extension phones. ...

[/quote]

Do you mean "cordless" rather than "hands-free", perhaps ?

I am interested in this thread as I am finding it difficult to hear the voice of my correspondents on my cordless phones, in UK as well as France.  I shift the handset up and down against my ear during conversations, hoping to find the best position - but to no avail.   I was thinking of getting my ears tested!

Angela

Yes, I did mean cordless. I know what you mean about shifting the handset around trying to get more volume. Perhaps this low volume is a feature of these cordless phones.

Quillan, I was thinking of a Siemens - Amazon do a range. Any other suggestions, anyone?

Patrick

We have a Siemens S455 with 2 extras and it's been a real goodie. It's got an answerphone on it. If you don't want the answerphone then the S450 is the same jobbie. We have both, one for the FT line and one for the VIOP. The advantage is that the S45, the extension phone, can be configured to operate on both base units.

Not the cheapest, but I think worth the extra and it is the phone system used by a lot of businesses and shops, so it can't be bad!

[quote user="Loiseau"][quote user="bixy"]

...What we're after is a hands free - you know the kind with a terminal and one or two wireless extension phones. ...

[/quote]

I am interested in this thread as I am finding it difficult to hear the voice of my correspondents on my cordless phones, in UK as well as France.  I shift the handset up and down against my ear during conversations, hoping to find the best position - but to no avail.   I was thinking of getting my ears tested!

Angela
[/quote]

Angela it might sound obvious, but, many DECT (cordless phones) allow you to increase the voice volume to the level you require. If you have difficulty hearing the caller then look at the instructions and hopefully that will cure your problem.

Baz

Wow - that's a revolutionary thought, Baz! ;-)

I have rummaged around and found the box, but of course I have removed the instructions "for safekeeping", no doubt.

I have messed around with all the buttons on the phone itself, and can only find how to increase the ringer tone - which is not an issue. Will persevere with trying to find the instructions though.

Angela

I have problems with both my hands and my neck and I find it difficult to hold the phone to my ear, especially if it is a bit of a long call. So what I do is to plug an earphone into my phone. That has a double benefit because if it is a bad line I can put the phone to one ear and I have the sound in both ears. Also if I have to take a phone number or write anything down I can put the phone down and still hear. The phone is still near enough for the caller to hear what I am saying too. Win, win situation.

Our phone also has the volume control and a hands free with a speaker in the back of the hand sets... What phone do you have Angela?

[quote user="Loiseau"]Wow - that's a revolutionary thought, Baz! ;-) I have rummaged around and found the box, but of course I have removed the instructions "for safekeeping", no doubt. I have messed around with all the buttons on the phone itself, and can only find how to increase the ringer tone - which is not an issue. Will persevere with trying to find the instructions though. Angela[/quote]

Angela,

You could try Googling the phone manufacturer as often the user guide for your model or similar model is to be found on the site. For instance if it was a Panaosonic phone then the volume can only be adjusted when speaking which might be the same buttons as the ringer tone.

Baz

Do you know, Baz, I have just had a long phone call with a friend, and I was nearly DEAFENED by her voice! So my fiddling about has obviously had some effect. (I have just reduced the level by a pip.)

It is indeed Panasonic, and I was on the point of Googling for instructions, but I think my instinct has led me there - inspired by your advice...

Many thanks, and I hope the OP has the same success.

Angela