CPL interoperability

Hi any techy gurus out there ?

I purchased a pair of CPL - current porteur line - a few months ago to extend the internet in our property as the thick stone walls are not wi-fi friendly. They work fine.

I recently bought another 2 CPL's but another brand to have greater flexibility, however these CPL's would not "talk" to the existing CPL's even though it said on the box that they were using the same standards.They would "talk" to each other - same brand.

Is it therefore necessary in order to extend the range of CPL's I have to purchase from the same manufacturer.

For info the first were "Devolu" brand and the second were "Bewan"

Thanks for that although the Homeplug Alliance would have you believe otherwise !

Also from Wikipedia

Interoperability

Products are tested for interoperability and certified based on the HomePlug specification and the IEEE 1901 powerline standard. Devices marked with the HomePlug certification mark will interoperate with each other, but not with devices that employ other powerline technologies such as UPA (silicon vendor DS2) or HD-PLC (silicon vendor Panasonic), which are found primarily in Japan.

HomePlug 1.0 devices do not interoperate with HomePlug AV devices. Although it is technically possible to achieve backward compatibility, this is not economically feasible because of the high cost of circuitry that would have to support different Forward error correction (FEC) techniques and feature sets. [10]

Similarly, HomePlug (1.0, Turbo, GP, AV, AV2) devices will not interoperate with products based on the G.hn standard (for power lines, phone lines and coaxial cables) developed by ITU-T because it was deemed prohibitively expensive to implement both HomePlug's turbo coding forward error correction and the low density parity check (LDPC) proposed for G.hn.[11]

Just to finish the subject, I contacted the Homeplug Powerline alliance on their webpage and actually received an answer.

No Bewan products are certified even though it was marked on the box - naughty Bewan.

This is not the first time I have had a problem with Bewan products so take note !