Can anyone advise a way to allow our guest to get Internet access in our gite,it is situated about 100 metres from our house.We have an orange box and we can pick up a signal on a lap top in and around the house but want to boost the signal to give the gite guests a signal,I have seen a box you plug into your mains that is supposed to give you a bigger circuit for a signal.

Any help would be appreciated,

John  

I use mains plugs (CPL in French - courant porteur du ligne) to provide internet access in our gite, usually when the family are here; we find that many guests are here on a week's rest and not want to be bothered!

The system works well on any mains socket which is part of the same supply as the originating router. (I don't know if you could pick up the signal in a neighbouring house, for example, on a different meter. I tested ours all over our property and found it worked really well, but the furthest socket in a barn is only about 25 metres distant so I've no idea if it would work 100 metres away.

You need 2 devices, one at each end. I use Netgear but there several others available. The instructions say that they don't work properly with mains extension leads (although ours do!) and apparently they don't work through surge protectors.

This has been discussed previously and a search should throw up other suggestions like installing a network cable or wf-fi extenders.