Initial set up of laneline/Internet connection question!

Hi, a generalish question? We have a house in Creuse, Limousin, and are moving over pretty much permantly shortly. What we would like to do is arrange for a landline/internet connection to be set up almost immediatly when we arrive. The house is half way through being renovated by us and has in the past had a landline but not any more. Can I call the Orange/France Telecom English speaking helpline from here in the UK and get it all arranged on 0033 969 36 39 00 or is this just for existing customers? Also are there any alternatives to France Telecom? Finally, any idea of costs involved for initial set up??? Any advise/info very much appreciated. Mark and Mareike.

[quote user="Hawkplasterer"]Can I call the Orange/France Telecom English speaking helpline from here in the UK and get it all arranged on 0033 969 36 39 00

[/quote]

yes, no problem for both the phone line and the internet.

[quote user="Hawkplasterer"]

Also are there any alternatives to France Telecom? [/quote]

Yes, it may be possible with any of the other major operaters.

What is available depends entirely on the line quality and distance from the exchange.

If you know the old number, you can try to enter it here on this site

www.degrouptest.com

enter the telephone number, click on TESTER and scroll down to see what may be available from the other operaters.

It might be more difficult as Orange is the only major one with a dedicated English speaking service. All the others are by Internet or telephone or in person in an SFR shop for example.

[quote user="Hawkplasterer"]

Finally, any idea of costs involved for initial set up??? [/quote]

To open a new FT line is 55 euros installation fee and then 16 euros per/m line rental

There may also be the possibility of not having a normal FT line but just internet only and all your call service is VOIP via the modem/router. This is generally cheaper monthly than having the FT line as well. Something like this perhaps

You may be best going with Orange/FT for the line to begin with and he internet service from Orange called 'Découvert' at 21 euros per month which you can cancel anytime if you want to change to another operater.

Danny

It would be worth contacting FT to check if you can actualy get broadband in your area as there are still a few places where it isnt available, (I should know, I`m on dial up untill my alternative arangements are sorted out) Allthough its called a help line, if your unlucky you may just get  the most unhelpfull and uninterested person imaginable. Good luck.

Dexter 

Thanks for replys! Gonna get on to FT today then and try my luck. The phone line runs just past our house about 3/4 meters away but the shorter line from our actual house to the main line (also supplying our 2 neighbours) has gone but as it's only 3ish meters can I pressume that is the amount of line I will be paying to have reconnected on top of the inital €55. Thanks again Mark and Mareike