Giving old UK iPhone to a friend in France

My daughter is about to be issued with a new iPhone in the UK, and was wondering if it was possible to give her old one to a friend in France who has a much more basic mobile phone..

Would it work OK?

What's the drill?   Does one just change a SIM card or something?

Would the recipient have to be on a monthly contract in France, or would it work with pay-as-you-go?   My daughter has had a monthly contract in the UK.

Many thanks in advance for advice on this.

Angela

It should be fine, although it would need to be unblocked.

I change my SIM several times a year as we travel between France and UK regularly. I have other phones I could use permanently in France, but I prefer my slim folding one, as it's so small and neat - while still being just about legible when texting.

I have pay as you go from   Leclerc; it was the cheapest available whren I got mine, but there are others now - and Leclerc may not be hip enough for a youngster anyway! [:)]

You would need perform a process called 'jailbreaking' which, whilst not particularly difficult, is not something I would recommend for the inexperienced or feint hearted !

The specifics depend on which version of iPhone it is. Google  jailbreak iphone for more.

if the iphone "locked" to a current provider, then this needs to be removed. In the UK, the providers will unlock the phone after a certain contract period or until the contract is expired. I think with O2 for example they will unlock a contract phone or a PAYG phone after 18 months. for O2 it used to be free to unlock a contract phone and £15 to unlock a PAYG phone. Simply phone up the provider and ask for an unlock. The unlock is done between the provider and Apple and no code or manipulation on the phone is required. If the phone is subsequently connected to Itunes it will come up as being unlocked and will accept a new SIM card. I would not recommend the "jail breaking" technique for the uninitiated and non-technical as it >>could<< lead to future upgrade or compatibility problems.

Sorry not to have come back here after the useful/bit scary advice. I have been waiting to hear what version of iPhone we are talking about, but my daughter does not seem to know where to find this info. Is it just on the back of the iPhone, or somewhere on-screen?

tia

Angela

If it has a camera on the front and back it is an iphone 4. If not and it is able to receive 3G it is an iphone 3GS. If not and it has a plastic case it is a 3G. If not plastic case (metal) it is very early model simply called Iphone.

On the phone select "settings" => "general" => "about" to get the details of the phone.

for identification see also http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939?viewlocale=en_US