Neglected Horses

Does anyone know if there is a system for reporting neglect and therefore cruelty to horses in France, such as the ILPH charity in the UK.

I have contacted the ILPH to ask if they know of one, and they do not; they are mainly interested in improving the horse transport in Europe.

The problem is that during my riding around our department, (Western France), we occasionally see neglect cases.  The one at the moment is a little pony whose hooves are so long that it can barely walk.  My French is good, but not good enough to cope with knocking on the door of the house next to the pony's meadow, finding out who the owner of the pony is, and suggesting they get its feet attended to yesterday.

How do any other Brit horse riders deal with such situations as this in France?

If it's in your own commune, or a neighbouring one, have a word with the maire. They may be aware of the situation and are keeping an eye on the owner responsible with an eye towards an official complaint - these things do take time and are not, unfortunstely, always very effective. Otherwise the gendarmes - neglecting an animal is an offence, though prosecutions are seldom brought, the police do get involved. The SPA doesn't seem to take a lot of notice of individuals, but it will often act if the maire or somebody else approaches them in an official capacity.