Bantams Wanted

Has anyone got any bantams needing good homes or for sale. While we were at the shops today something got into our chicken run and killed 5 out of our 6 Wynadotte bantams. We are devastated. We built them a lovely new pen for them to enjoy but obviously it wasn't secure enough. We have put the remaining one in an enclosed run while I turn the new one into a fortress. We feel dreadful that the poor chicken is on its own so need companions for it quickly.

We are in area 86 near Civray.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Brian

Hi Brian,

So sorry to hear about your bantams. We have a high chicken wire fence laid into a concrete-filled trench but we back on to woods and I thoroughly expect something to sneak in one day. It is especially upsetting for you that it was during the day. It would be worth working out what got them (ie were they just lying dead or were they in a mess, or dragged away?) because you will need to fortify the pen in different ways whether it was a bird of prey or a fox or a cat or something like a mink (do they live here? Not sure..). Sorry if you know that already but if not it could save you some unecessary work!

As for replacement birds - you could ask around local markets. Not sure how far away you are but Caussade has a Monday morning market selling animals, and I am told it is good for poultry, although I don't know whether it will stretch to specific breeds. Probably best to get there early.

Good luck and I hope you find something soon - your remaining bantam must be shaken up and very lonely!

Jane

EDIT -

sorry - have just re-read and I am talking nonsense - Caussade is 82, not 86 so will be of no use to you at all. Ask around at local markets or have a look in your local yellow pages for eleveurs. Sorry!

Hi Jane

Thanks for your reply. The chickens were all still in the pen (24 sq.M), one had been virtually eaten, one half eaten but the other three had their throats ripped out but no other damage. We have found on the forum someone locally who has chicken families for sale so we are going to see them tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to keep the chickens secure and enjoy them, we keep them as pets not as 'eaters'. We are going to make sure the run is as secure as we can get it but still allow the chickens to be as free range as possible.

Thanks again for replying it is appreciated.

Brian