Registered businesses FAQ

Further to several topics here, notably the 'It ain't me Guv' one, I've added an FAQ about registered/unregistered tradesmen, SIRETs etc. I hope it presents a factual and unbiased overview which will help people make their own decision on this tricky subject and at the same time may help avoid forum users being conned by the unscrupulous.

I'm sure there are things that can be added, things that may change, or things I've misinterpreted from the myriads of postings on the subject here so we'd love to get your feedback for subsequent versions - and ideas for other similar FAQs.

Will (50)

Will
Thanks for that, I found it informative and helped put our mind at rest a bit about a builder who has quoted for us, as he is on that site and has given us a proper estimate in english and french.

Whilst I understand the reason why certain people cannot be named and shamed it is a pity, actual experiences cannot be put as it would be helpful, although I know people can be biased.

Ray

An excellent posting!

Pretty well covers most points.

A ploy used in our area by 'artisans' who are registered, but as a micro-enterprise, is to ask the client to pay the bills at the builders merchants. They then only charge the client for the labour element and 'save' them the TVA. Quite missing the point that the client is paying 19.6% TVA on the materials rather than 5.5% as part of the whole job.

They also ask for payment for the labour element in cash or with a Sterling cheque. Tax paid in France? - three guesses.

People buying in France and who require work to be carried out should also be very wary of the 'artisans' who advertise in the three popular publications using UK phone and mobile numbers. Registered in France? - three guesses.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://grindoux.9online.fr