Processional caterpillars

We moved house recently and now have land containing a large number of trees, mainly oak, but some pine. We also have a small dog, a Westie, and a cat. Friends had told us of their experiences when their terrier became involved with a line of processional caterpillars, lost part of its tongue, could have died. We saw that some of the pines close to the house did, in fact, contain 'nests' and sought advice on the best way to deal with them. Given that these were fairly tall trees, removing the 'nests' wasn't practical and so we've now had 16 of the pines closest to the house felled and removed. This was done at the beginning of this week, timed to be carried out before new caterpillars created new colonies. However, we did note what appeared to be a new 'nest' in one of the trees. We understand that the 'threat' from the caterpillars lasts from now until about March, with February and March being potentially the most problematic.We hope that any nests that are built in the pines a little further away from the house won't pose so much of a threat to our animals, which tend to stay pretty close unless accompanied by one of us. My question is this. Apart from rushing to the vets, is there anything that we can have 'standing by' to treat the dog or the cat if they do come into contact with any caterpillars? From what I've read, prompt action is essential and minutes may be crucial if the animal starts to 'fit'. Any advice would be appreciated.

I know people feel strongly on this subject but I lived for 4 years with huge trees occupied by the little blighters, often saw them marching, cut down and burnt nests I could reach etc.etc.  I think you have to take a measured view of this, the number  of cases of problems are very few, dogs would be pretty stupid to try to eat caterpillars and cats I'm sure would not.  The problems arise when they march on the ground of course and you can see them as they are hundreds ususally in a row.  Avoid the trees that are occupied during Feb and March and don't worry so much.

forgot to say my dog is stupid and still he was fine.  My take on it, do burn the nests of those low and near your house, but cut down the tree, I would never do that.

I've recently seen a few new nests appearing in one of my pine trees - too high to reach with a ladder.  Same tree had several nests last year.  Last year I was advised to spray the tree each year for two years.  However, I don't like chemicals and you might find the cure is worse than the problem.  This tree definitely had them last year, definitely this year and I assume in previous years (before I got to recognise their nests).

I agree, be careful but as with many things don't overreact.

Ian

1. Forget about cold winters. Their cocoons are excellent insulation. Anyway, it's during the night, when it's coldest, that they like to come out and feed. 2. Cats and dogs won't eat them , but any cat will put its nose up and have a sniff, and possibly prod them with its paw. 3. We got our treeman to climb the tree and saw off the worst-affected branches. Gets rid of the nests but keeps the tree.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Have a look at this post of mine. It gives more detail.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/797530/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

Thanks for that. I have to say that before following your link I was beginning to feel like a bit of a vandal, having had the trees cut down. However, having now read other people's experiences and comments, I'm feeling better. From what I have seen and read, removing the trees was clearly the only complete and permanent solution to this potentially very nasty problem.

I would think that the greatest danger to dogs was if they sniff at them out of curiosity and the resulting swelling could block the airways.

After seeing a procession last year our Breton Spaniel came in scratching one foot furiously on the concrete floor. It took some time for us to realise the probable cause, he had just stepped on one. The irritation ceased after an hour and he forgot about it. Obviously, becuse he went and did it again a month later!

[quote user="Spardo"]

The irritation ceased after an hour and he forgot about it. Obviously, becuse he went and did it again a month later!

[/quote]

There are other possibilities.  One of mine loves "helping" whilst I have a bonfire and it is generally in the middle of a patch of stinging nettles.  These seem not to bother her until we get back indoors after several hours.  At that point she will start licking her paws, leaping around and is in discomfort for several more hours.  I know the cause so it does not bother me too much.  Not saying this is the cause of your dogs reaction, just that there are other possibilities.

Ian

It would appear that the biggest problem is that these things secrete a pherimone that entices dogs and to a lesser extent cats to eat or try to pick them up.

OK if you are happy with that then so be it, BUT I'm not. We have a chocolate lab and she will eat anything and I mean anything. We are not willing to take such a silly chance with her life and welfare. I will carry on cutting them out of our trees and burning them and when I do I wear gloves. What ever you do I just hope that you don't see any of your animals or children hurt by them. Or adults for that matter!

This is my main weapon against them http://www.wilkinsonswordgarden.co.uk/products/220656.php . The French one is made by Fiskars and it's in most of the good garden centers. Not a cheap tool, but worth it! Great too if you have to prune inside any bushes because unlike the 'normal' ones there is no cord hanging around getting caught up in branches all over the place...

One solution - which we have used - is to ask a local (friendly) huntsman to shoot down the nests that are out of reach.

In our case they (the hunters) relished the target practice and we were able then to pick up the debris and burn it.

Everyone was happy (apart fron the caterpillars).