Ducky questions

Our friends brought 3 ducklings 2 weeks ago, but then had to make an emergency trip back to England and have left me in charge - HELP.

They have left me a tub of maize which I am supposed to mix with a little water, but no other instructions like how much maize.

What to feed ducks - a selection of sites.

http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/Ducks.pdf

http://www.callducks.net/looking_after_calls.htm

http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-and-animals/a3728-how-to-raise-a-duck-as-a-pet.html

None of them say how much maize but one says that the maize (corn in USA-speak) should preferably be cracked.  All say that they need plenty of water so it's a good idea to pre-soak the maize.

Good luck.

Just put a good size bowl down when its gone fill it again, they will only eat what they need , water and lots of it is very very important as big a bowl as possible but not to high , as they like to stand in it and need to drink and eat at the same time. you will notice that they will take some food then fill  there mouths with water to wash it down . They will always make there water very messy dont worry about this as long as its fresh each day. If you have time sit and watch them, they are very funny natural comics and human contact makes them much easier to handle later. 

Thanks all.  I figured one good handful of maize per duck and that's about right, with some water and they are happy little duckies.

However, my dilemna is that when I went to feed them, I could only find 2.   No signs of any struggles or feathers lying around, so I reckon one of them is hiding from me (I hope).

They will need more than one hand ful a day are they free to run around out side? so are they eating other things to like grass veg ect ? Keep a close eye today as you may have a fox around ( there would be no signs of a struggle ) they really need to be locked in at night. i doubt they would split up as they are flock animals , so its either fainted from hunger [;-)] or the fox has had it, if it was trapped some where you would hear it pipping.....    

They are free to run around and like to snack on the grass around the pond and other areas, so I think they are getting plenty to eat.

Sadly, we still have not found the third one, so I guess the fox (or one of the cats that were eyeing them up on arrival) may have whisked one away.  Have checked in the smaller pond, under the shrubs as friend suggested, but no sign and no sound of a duck in distress anywhere.

Thanks for all your help though.

Jan

One of our ducks has at last hatched out 8 ducklings today and she has even had them on the pond. But I've seen a large buzzard hovering above our garden, so that's another potential predator. Even if they're enclosed in the run they seem to disappear one by one.