nesting birds

We live in a protected village and with lots of hedges belonging to the commune. Our local service de technique do a wonderful job looking after the hedges and I have to admit that it is a work of art once they have finished.

However my problem in all of this is that there are nesting birds in the hedges and I know in the UK that say until July one cannot disturb nesting birds.

Is there please any such protection here in France. I try to be eco friendly in everything and this is a point of high importance as far as I am concerned.

What a shame. In the UK farmers and councils have really made huge progress re. pruning hedges in winter. Look up the LPO website for info and send them a message. How do you get on with the Maire? Would you be able to talk to him and try to get him on the birds side? Sincerely Bonne chance.

Is there please any such protection here in France. I try to be eco friendly in everything and this is a point of high importance as far as I am concerned.

Yes there is protection in France that prohibits the disruption or destruction of nesting birds, but again I have to say that it isn't the LPO that should be contacted, it's the ONCFS, they and they alone deal with wildlife matters when it comes to the law.

Chris

The Birds Directive bans activities that directly threaten birds, such as the deliberate killing or capture of birds, the destruction of their nests and taking of their eggs, and associated activities such as trading in live or dead birds, with a few exceptions (listed in Annex III - III/1 allows taking in all Member States; III/2 allows taking in Member States in agreement with European Commission). The Directive recognises hunting as a legitimate activity and provides a comprehensive system for the management of hunting (limited to species listed in Annex II - II/1 allows hunting in all Member States; II/2 allows hunting in listed Member States ) to ensure that this practice is sustainable. This includes a requirement to ensure that birds are not hunted during the periods of their greatest vulnerability, such as the return migration to the nesting areas, reproduction and the raising of chicks. It requires Member States to outlaw all forms of non-selective and large scale killing of birds, (especially the methods listed in Annex IV). It promotes research to underpin the protection, management and use of all species of birds covered by the Directive (Annex V).

This has been put into National law in all EU Countries.

Chris