French estate agents on holiday

I'm aware of the phrase "all the French go on holiday in August" but does that apply to French Estate Agents? I was planning to spend quite a few weeks in France (Centre region)during the summer holiday but if all the agencies are closed for August there would be little point.
Can anyone advise please?

I don't think you can generalise too much, but in the main it is true that the french do go on holiday in August and a small agency could well be closed down for several weeks. I would certainly not be surprised to find a skeleton staff in place and a lack of enthusiasm to deal with enquiries. You could also find that the seller or his representatives are not readily available eother.

Liz (29)

We were staying in Valencay (Indre 36) last August and all the estate agencies there remained open. I've never yet come across an estate agent not wanting to show you properties! But I can imagine that notaires and/or sellers might be a different kettle of fish. Perhaps you might like to check out the websites for Transaxia, Jovimmo and Le Tuc Immo? I know they don't speak English at Transaxia (well, not at Levroux anyway) but Walter at Jovimmo speaks it. (That's NOT a recommendation by the way!)

Good Luck!

A lot of estate agents do not like showing properties in july and august because they feel it is the "holiday" syndrome. i.e. lots of people - french just as much as english - are holidaying in a place and suddenly think - oh look , if we saved a bit, did this, did that, we could afford to buy that house - and go off on a viewing trip during their annual hols and get all fired up with the atmosphere of being on hols, etc etc and the reality kicks in once they are back in uk or paris or whatever and so it all falls through. I dont mean to generalise but on the whole , and i speak only of the south at the moment, but it is true that the majority of visits during july and august do not lead to real sales.

so whilst agents might not all be on holiday - a lot do wind down during that time because their clientele is not always a serious one