Pygmy Goats

We are moving to France later in the year from UK and we wish to bring our 2 pygmy goats with us. Do you need to register your property as a holding as in the UK if you wish to keep goats.  I have written to the French authorities about 4 weeks ago but have had no response - can anybody help

Well Adrian...I took over the four pygmy goats that were living here in their paddocks...when we bought the property last year...and none of my French neighbours have told me that I need to register...we're great friends...and they've helped us get over many problems...so I think they would have told us by now.

Effie

No you do not need to register as a holding but you do need to have them tagged, otherwise, you could get a nasty shock in the form of a rather large fine for having untagged livestock on your property.

All livestock (apart from dogs and cats, which should be tattooed or chipped) need to have tags, even chickens need to have their legs ringed.

Emma

With all due respect Emma...I've just asked my French neighbour who has a small holding with 14 goats...and two horses on his land...and he assures me that if the animals are on your land simply for your own pleasure...then you don't need to have them tagged. I live in an area where there are a lot of little holdings with various animals on them...and I have to confess that I've never seen anything other than cattle tagged...I also visit the market every week...where a man sells all kinds of poultry etc. and his stock isn't tagged either [:)]

Effie

Hello

Nothing tagged around these parts either except cattle farmed commercially even the sheep in my neighbours field are not tagged, these are grass mowers only so pets really and so perhaps that is the deciding factor.  I also have pygmy goats one of which was previously owned by a french person and she is not tagged. 

Panda

Must just be where I am, as we were advised by our Mairie, that we had to have our goats and chickens tagged otherwise we will be subject to a fine from an animal department, (can't quite remember which one!!) our neighbours and the farmers had also advised us of this.

Adrian, I hope you manage to get your little goats to France! I really love them little goats. I was given one last year by the gorgeous Twinkle! His name is Maynard, and we spend many hours together. Have you any pictures of your goats? I would love to see them. We are going to live in Dingle in July, and the house we are buying has it's own built in goats! We were so lucky to find it.

Furry [kiss]

• 3 years later...