SAFER

Hi there! First, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I am a bit pressed for time as using our friend's computer (and this French keyboard takes some getting used to!)

We have just completed the cooling off period for our farm in the Charente (house + buildings + 30 hectares) and were thinking we had covered everything, largely thanks to help from this forum. We have now heard that SAFER is making things difficult for those who want to RESELL farms within 10 years of purchase. We hope that we will be here for many years, but at the very least want to know what we are letting ourselves in for. We have an appointment with the notaire on Thursday and will certainly discuss this, but I just wondered if anyone had heard of this?

Hi there,
I think you'll find that the problems with SAFER occur when you purchase the property through some sort of special contract which allows you to waive paying the french equivalent of stamp duty. (Because it is a farm you are buying) Sorry to be unclear but we lost a house recently due to complications of this sort when the owner discovered that as they had owned the property for less than ten years they would be liable to repay something in excess of 12,000 euros on resale. They decided not to sell. It all depends on the conditions that prevail in the contract you sign. But I don't think it's quite as frightening as it may at first sound. Any French estate agent should be able to clarify it for you. Best of luck
Fran

Be very sure what you are buying and what you plan to do with it. SAFER is there to protect farms and the farming community. If you are buying a working farm they will expect you to continue working it as it is, ie a dairy farm remains a dairy farm (any changes require permission - you will also need to apply for permission to farm), if not then they have the power to effect a compulsory purchase and evict you. That's where the ten year rule comes in. After ten years if you wish to sell, or change use, then you can without asking permission first.

It may seem horrendous but if, like us, you are working farmers it does protect you and work in your favour.

In our experience Estate Agents are ignorant of SAFER regulations (we very nearly ended up in big trouble because of it). If you want further info please contact my inbox.