Please be careful

Penny29

We have just lost our most gorgeous 18 month old pup to poisoning. I can't describe what an awful death this was for my dog or how traumatic it was/is for us. He jumped our gates and went walkabout for less than 20 minutes. In this brief time he must have eaten something put down for rats, foxes etc. We live in a tiny hamlet of 5 houses = had alway thought the area was so safe.

The poison used has no antidote, our vet said it is in general use over here, often in the form of sugar coated pellets, it is not illegal, not a banned substance.

I'm posting this as a warning - it may save another dogs life.

Penny

Many Many thanks for this warning. We have an adourable golden retriever and he's only 7months but he has managed to get out of our supposedly secure fence twice. I don't think I can let him out of my sight now.

This is my first pet and I cannot imagine what you are going through. I just thank you for letting everyone know.

Jenny

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Penny
We are so sorry for you and in time hope that your grief will give way to fond memories. Thank you for your posting. You are so kind to take the time to think of others and their beloved family members. We lost our Retriever some 2 years ago and were devastated. It was last December that we finally welcomed our new family member, Archie, our Golden Retriever, who is now 6 mths old.
His welfare is one of our major concerns, as we feel France can pose many dangers to our canine loved ones.
Take heart in remembering that you gave a good friend a good life, no matter how long.
Kind Regards
La Famille Sparkes.

I'm so very sorry to hear what has happened; it strikes a note of fear into all dog-owner's hearts. Try as we may, we seem unable to keep our 3 year old labrador within our huge garden (life outside always seems more exciting) and he is prone to having a little wander from time to time. I know how utterly devastated we would be if anything happened to him on one of these jaunts and I really feel for your loss.
Try to remember the good times - easier said than done I know.
Very best wishes, Susannah.

A few months ago I started finding dead birds and mammals in the garden. Our french isnt that good , but my English neighbour pointed out that a sign had been put up warning everyone that poison had been put in the streams that surround us. It was to cull the rats.
I found this upseting as our dogs could have drank from the streams.
Very sad for the innocent wild life, but what is the answer ??